Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
which do you think would be better to build for a race car only and how would you build it what heads,comp ratio. I was thinking of 12.5 to 14.00. no bottle! vic jr. intake or a tunnel ram with two 490 cfms
Alan

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
I like the 351W. The block is MUCH stronger, and uses 1/2" head bolts. The 302 uses 10 measly 7/16" bolts, so blown head gaskets are a major problem with high compression and/or power adders.

In my opinion 347ci is just too much for a standard 302 block. It just won't last long... A 331 fits the 302 block MUCH easier, and will rev a lot better.

The 351W can also be easily stroked to around 400ci. Add in a huge set of heads and a Super Victor intake, and you're set for some KILLER timeslips.

If you don't have the funds to build a stroker 351W, build it at 351ci to get yourself set up, then when the time comes you'll be able to just build another shortblock. Go BIG! Big carb, intake, heads, etc... the first time. Then you won't have to do it -again- later.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I agree with n20mike if space isn't a concern I'd definitely use the 351.Why stroke a 302 when Ford has already done it for you ,and there's lots of potential left with the 351.

·
Registered
749 Posts
well if you are talking about the 66 comet....its a no brainer 351W hands down.
Little tufer call for the 64 falcon as those engine compartments are a little on the small side. Love your cars btw...11's at 6000 ft out of a 390 in a 3600# car is no small chore

a 393W will work nicely in place of that 390 FE....the poor top oiler FE's oiling sys is its weak point.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts