Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
OK so the casting code is D0OE so I believe they are 70s is that correct? Which means this is the specs. 60.4cc chambers, 1.84/1.54 valves.

It depends on the year of the 351 heads..Look between the pushrod holes on the top side for a date code and a casting number on the bottom side of the heads..The 302 4V heads have great combustion chambers for compression but aren't anything special otherwise..The 351 heads may have bigger valves for better flow but could also have huge combustion chambers and small valves as well..It all depends on the year.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Ok another question. I'm getting these heads cleaned and checked for flatness and all that good stuff. I'm assuming the valves and seats will need ground cause some are pretty rusty and I was gonna get new valve springs. So I'm assuming with that I'll have about 300ish into the heads. Is it worth it or should I get some aluminum heads. I'm trying not to put a ton of money into this motor so I don't want anything crazy but I found some aluminum heads on eBay for about 400. So are 351 heads any good compared to the new stuff..

·
Registered
684 Posts
Ok another question. I'm getting these heads cleaned and checked for flatness and all that good stuff. I'm assuming the valves and seats will need ground cause some are pretty rusty and I was gonna get new valve springs. So I'm assuming with that I'll have about 300ish into the heads. Is it worth it or should I get some aluminum heads. I'm trying not to put a ton of money into this motor so I don't want anything crazy but I found some aluminum heads on eBay for about 400. So are 351 heads any good compared to the new stuff..
If you are going to use a decent Cam you will need screw in studs. By the time you rebuild your heads with new springs, Guides, Valves and machine work you would be better off with new heads and you will be well over $300. For a budget build you would be better off with some TW 170 heads as they can usually be found under $1200. What camshaft are you going to use as this will determine how good of a spring you need and whether you need screw in studs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
This is the cam in it now. I was gonna keep it in unless I can find something else for a decent price..Also my heads have the screw in studs just removed them today

HI-Draulic Hauler / Performance Level 5- Violent Mid Range Acceleration And Torque. Rpm Power Range: 2700 To 6500. Advertised Duration Intake- 296° Exhaust-304° Duration @ .050" Intake-230° Exhaust-246°. Gross Lift 1.6\1.6 Intake-.506" Exhaust-.506".

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I would be very wary of those cheap ebay heads..They are likely pro comps or something similar with very very cheap components in them and possibly very bad castings as well.."If" you can get a good set and install good parts in them you will probably be approaching the price of a good set of name brand heads anyway..If you can clean up the windsor heads for around $300ish and they already have screw in studs that might not be a bad way to go if you aren't after maximum performance..Of course you also need the proper springs for that camshaft or whichever cam you go with.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Yeah good point. I guess I was dreaming..lol So I found these heads. Does this seem like a good deal. I appreciate your input I'm new to all this.

Ford 351/400M racing heads
Well it is possible to use those heads it does require different pistons/rods/intake/headers and some machine work on the heads..Basically you would be building a boss 302..There are much better options out there that will bolt right on to your existing setup.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Yeah I just noticed they were Cleveland heads and started looking and seen the whole Clevor thing. I don't know I kind of like the whole Frankenstein engine idea..lol A lot of work but it's different. One thing is I was trying to see if they make boss Pistons .040 over couldn't find anything.

Well it is possible to use those heads it does require different pistons/rods/intake/headers and some machine work on the heads..Basically you would be building a boss 302..There are much better options out there that will bolt right on to your existing setup.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Yeah I just noticed they were Cleveland heads and started looking and seen the whole Clevor thing. I don't know I kind of like the whole Frankenstein engine idea..lol A lot of work but it's different. One thing is I was trying to see if they make boss Pistons .040 over couldn't find anything.
no prob, call je pistons, i had several sets made. they are around $900.00.

·
Registered
578 Posts
There are plenty of factory blocks living at 400 hp, Other then ARP studs mine is doing fine.
I think This depends on What year the block is? I have seen some blocks between 1975 and 1982 split down the middle with less than 400 HP! I have also seen two blown 1968 302 blocks running 600 HP that never came apart! Any block Built after 1974 is not good for lots of HP!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Yeah mine is a 69. I have heard that also that the ones around those years aren't very good.. Ok sorry but got another question..:) So I've read the 4v heads aren't good for street use because of the large valves and ports. Well those heads I posted are ported to match the super cobra jet so does that mean these won't be good for street use..

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Yeah mine is a 69. I have heard that also that the ones around those years aren't very good.. Ok sorry but got another question..:) So I've read the 4v heads aren't good for street use because of the large valves and ports. Well those heads I posted are ported to match the super cobra jet so does that mean these won't be good for street use..
hi. . you have a short deck block so you need the right stroker kit. . those heads are kinda big. . the cam you posted is kinda big.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
hi. . you have a short deck block so you need the right stroker kit. . those heads are kinda big. . the cam you posted is kinda big.
Oh ok. Well seems I need to learn myself some more before doing a build. I've rebuilt an engine before but never got into the technical aspect so I'm trying to learn. I really appreciate all the input guys.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Oh ok. Well seems I need to learn myself some more before doing a build. I've rebuilt an engine before but never got into the technical aspect so I'm trying to learn. I really appreciate all the input guys.
hi;

if you want, you can just tell us what you want as far as the following and we can make suggestions.

how much money do you have for the engine and carb, no exhaust, no gears and no ignition?

do you want a mild, moderate or nasty rough idle?

tire burner or tire warmer?

low, mid or 8000 rpm top end power?

drag car, 80 mph freeway flier or inbetween?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
hi;

if you want, you can just tell us what you want as far as the following and we can make suggestions.

how much money do you have for the engine and carb, no exhaust, no gears and no ignition?

do you want a mild, moderate or nasty rough idle?

tire burner or tire warmer?

low, mid or 8000 rpm top end power?

drag car, 80 mph freeway flier or inbetween ?

Well honestly I'm not sure anymore..lol I was just gonna take this engine apart freshen it up and put it back together but the heads need some work due to sitting. So I started looking for other ones. Now this whole clevor idea intrigues me but I don't want to use this block being bored .040 over and having to fork out that extra dough for the bigger Pistons. So I'm not sure myself..lol Basically when it all boils down I want an engine that'll be good for daily use but had some serious get up and go.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Well honestly I'm not sure anymore..lol I was just gonna take this engine apart freshen it up and put it back together but the heads need some work due to sitting. So I started looking for other ones. Now this whole clevor idea intrigues me but I don't want to use this block being bored .040 over and having to fork out that extra dough for the bigger Pistons. So I'm not sure myself..lol Basically when it all boils down I want an engine that'll be good for daily use but had some serious get up and go.
hello;

a 347 will wear out before a 331 or 302 will.

a 331 can make a lot of hp but it is higher in the rpm range.

go buy a std bore 302 roller engine for $300.00 and bore it .030" over or buy custom pistons and go .020" if possible.

you can run around 1 point more of compression with aluminum heads.

here's the clevor heads you need for stock pistons.

http://www.ausfordparts.com/ausheads.html

21 - 38 of 38 Posts