Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on replacing my 302 FMX combo for a 400+ HP 460/c-6. I don't have the knowledge to build up my own engine so I decided to go with a crate motor. Do I have to upgrade the suspension since i'm more than doubling the horsepower I'm currently getting or can I just replace the tranny and engine and be done with it? I don't have pwer steering or power brakes, so should I look into upgrading anything in that department? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The new 460 would be going into a 1968 Ford XL Fastback. Its a daily driver right now and I'd like to keep it that way once the new engine goes in.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Definately upgrade the brakes!! you'll be adding weight so the overworked brakes will have to work harder.....convert to disc brakes if you dont have them.

Also, you can keep the suspension as is, but I would upgrade to big block coil springs so it will hold up the weight without sagging down.

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
power disc brakes up front for sure, bigger coil springs because the older ones are old and weaker, bigger front sway bar. Bigger radiator, Probably need a 9" in the back. Bigger fuel line for the 460. I would put a crate in it, just find a good rebuilt one and go from there. Less money out of the pocket.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts