Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after i did my intake on the 302, i ran a vacuum test on it and it onl pulled about 16 or 17 at idle. a friend said this was low. is it? if so how should I check for leaks in the manifold?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: granadadust53 on 5/5/02 8:39am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: granadadust53 on 5/5/02 8:47am ]</font>

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
What is your combo?
Could be timing, Stock cam?

Use some carb cleaner, spray it around all the gaskets, when the motor sucks in the cleaner it will pick up or drope some rpms.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
performer rpm intake, 600 carb, stock everything else.

·
Registered
30 Posts
hey, you posted the other thread about the odd knocking noise. these problems are most likely inter-related.

you have several avanues of problems to check: ignition related, timing (check your other post), and the least likely would be fuel related.

16-17 inches of vacuum is more than acceptable (15-20 is generally acceptable).

bring your timing down to about 10 degree BTC and i am confident that you will see both problems go away. you haven't mentioned any head work, and a 69 302 would probably have a significant amount of carbon buildup in the heads. the 10 degrees should help to ensure your heads have enough time to breathe (assuming the stock cam for your car is not extremely radical).

otherwise, don't worry about the vacuum. if for some reason the knock doesn't go away with the timing adjustment, you may want to recheck how you installed the distributor after the intake swap. also consider checking the amount of fuel pressure.

good luck! and keep us posted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts