Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay opening up a can of warms (and i guess there really isnt a right answer) but what would you guys recommed for a 67 mustang street/strip. I know 302 is lighter, 351w is stronger, 351c is expenisive. But im thinking, 302/351w is boring, 351c has the cool factor. CHI makes great heads, headers are easy to come by. What do you guys think, pros, cons, etc.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I would have to say if you want to go w/ the cool factor, I would definitely go with the Cleveland. It is a powerhouse and is probably the best looking engine Ford ever made. Also, when you say Cleveland, there are still plenty of people out there who respect what that motor is. "Dude, he's got a Cleveland in there!"

·
Registered
513 Posts
I'd also go with the Cleveland. A built 351c 4v or one with the new CHI or AFD heads would be hard to beat. In a littler car like that, I think it would just flat out fly. But I'm sure this will bring a lot of discussion. One problem you will have with the Cleveland is, TRACTION! But that can dealt with later

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I am looking at a 67 with a Cleveland in it it has a basically stock bottom end with a little more cam than stock, and it is a a 4V with the small chamber heads it sounds great and the slips are showing mid 11's consistently not bad with MT DOT's I really like it, there are winsor's everywhere, the sound of a Cleveland is very distinct

·
Registered
865 Posts
About $3000.

One peice input shaft
2 inch OD
kevlar bands
all the upgrades....AODE gearset, shift kit, high stall TC.

I went cheap with a no-name performance build the first time and got burnt. If I had stayed mainstream with an Art Carr or Lentech setup from the start all would be good.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dodgestang on 12/24/04 11:45am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
CLEVELAND

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: clevelandstyle on 12/24/04 12:20pm ]</font>

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
I have a Cleveland in my 68. I have yet to fire it up since the straight six that was in there. However I am hoping in a week or two. Defiantly go Cleveland.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
On 2004-12-23 22:33, strtcar wrote:
Okay opening up a can of warms (and i guess there really isnt a right answer) but what would you guys recommed for a 67 mustang street/strip. I know 302 is lighter, 351w is stronger, 351c is expenisive. But im thinking, 302/351w is boring, 351c has the cool factor. CHI makes great heads, headers are easy to come by. What do you guys think, pros, cons, etc.
So do a c head on a W and have the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
Let me think about that one a minute...
The C takes a bit more "thinkin'", but it's a very cool motor and runs like the dickens. I'm low 12's (7.79 1/8 ) with 3200 lbs race weight and the engine is mild as heck. There are lots of 302's with more cam and stall than I've got. And when you open the hood - it's "Fear Factor - GM Edition".

·
Registered
12 Posts
Go the boss route theres heaps of stuff out now to choose from ,in Australia you can get a parker manifold or the
manifolds with the 3v heads.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Wow - this thread is all Cleveland! HOO-RAH!

CLEVELAND CLEVELAND CLEVELAND!

I spent the weekend tearing apart a 351C-4V 4-Bolt Engine to be rebuilt. The only original part going to the machine shop is the block itself - well, maybe the thermostat housing and the flexplate, too.

When finished it will be a CHI-3V headed 408 stroker Cleveland!

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
On 2004-12-25 22:11, coolfalcon wrote:
On 2004-12-23 22:33, strtcar wrote:
So do a c head on a W and have the best of both worlds.
Cleveor best of both.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts