Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about dropping a 5.0 HO motor w/ a T5 tranny into my 1986 Ford Ranger 4x4. Has anyone here done this? If so, do you have any suggestions. I have seen a few kits to put it into a 4x2.... but 4x4 has less room to play with.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
There are a couple sites, but it concerns the first gen explorer-I was considering dropping a 351W in my 91 sport, but passed it up because I honestly just need a driver and not a hot rod right now.
A couple things I know will be a 3-4 inch bodylift would help for space, if ac equipt, the box will have to be modified for clearance at the bottom.
I know on my explorer, the factory springs are fine to use for a 302 install, and can actually take the 351w w/o problems.
You will have to swap to electric fans, upgrade the radiator;
If you are able, try finding a complete trans and tcase from a f series, unless you get an adapter from some place like advanced adapters, etc.
I know om my explorer, I was going to simply use a C4 and an adapter to mate with my factory tcase, as they are able to handle the v8 w/o muuch issue on a stock to mild engine.
Think headers, easies it a pair of 5.0 mustang shorties, or stick with cast manifolds.
Think about your brakes, aswell.
You'll have more go, but is there enough woah?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I cannot find an adapter for the T5 so I am thinking about the automatic C4. I know my suspension will be fine, I had a V6. The body Lift is a definate. I want as much room as I can get in there. I just don't know how a tranny and transfer case from a F-series will fit, is there a lot of welding involved?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts