Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,
Idk if I'm in the right section but kinda new to this forum so forgive me.
I just purchased a mint 1983 town car for $500 with nothing wrong with it, but since I'm young and can't leave well enough alone, it needs some more power.
Problem is i don't know anything about the 302 efi windsor, I'm usually do Hondas and Toyotas, and I'm pretty good at em so I can do the work.

K so here are my q's:
1:heads-are there bigger ones that'll swap over with minimum work? I've been reading about Cleveland heads, whats the deal? Will me having efi affect the heads I can use?

2:EFI- right now my car is fine, I don't know if they did the 14.7:1 in 83, but if they did, is there a way to get it to 12.5:1 with what i have or do I change the top to bigger injectors, if so which ones. Where I live in pa we don't have emissions so that's not a concern.

3:intake manifold-I see the ones for the mustang 302 from edelbrock and summit, would they work? What cfm rating would be good for a daily driver that stomps down I-80?

4:headers-I'm not a welder so I can't make em, and all I can find for a town car are oem spec, like the intake manifold would the mustang ones work, or do I go to the local weld shop and have a set made. They do good work, but it costs an arm and a leg and I want to avoid that very much.

5:ignition-should I upgrade the whol dizzy, or just the coil and cap? Msd or not?

I don't really want to do cams and lifters right now, but some advice in that for the future would be nice jic. Anything else you guys can think of would be great too. I know I'll probably have to upgrade the fuel pump too so any recommendations would be great as well.
Any help would be terrific, and again if I'm in the wrong place with a lincoln I appologize. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
hello i have an 85 302 town car lol. . to go 12.5 you need a 351 stroked to a 410 or 428 with a kenne bell blower . the enginne alone will cost around 6k without the charger . . you can stroke the 302 to 331 or 347 and run a supercharger. buy new mustang headers from summit if they dont fit you can return them . youll want some afr 185 heads or tf 11 r heads. bigger everything on the intake side. . different rear gears . built trans . stiffer rear suspension . . so

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I'm not talking about 12.5 1/4 mile, I'm talking about 12.5:1 a/f ratio.
lol . oh . you did not say afr in your post and since the name of this site is ford muscle and you want headers i thought you wanted a 12..5 second lincoln . . if the panther site has no info for this then sign up on the corrall . and post your question in the regular 5.0 mustang tech section you will have your exact answer in around 2 hours. there are a few major a holes there so pay no attention to them or their posts someone will actually help you. . . w.

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
Welcome to the Forums. :tup: This is interesting. I'd say that you need to plan quite a power increase to make the time, work and money worthwhile. It can be a bit of a bummer after 3 months of weekends and 3 paychecks lets you almost catch the neighbor's VW. Typical upgrades will make typical power, and in a barge, it won't be as effective.

So, I'd ask what you really (and realistically) want the car to do, and make a plan to get there reliably but cheaply. You need specific goals. For example, depending on your goals, you might consider a big block swap. Or perhaps the 302 but with a turbo or nitrous to keep costs down. Otherwise, you might do better to make it your custom 2-ton shag-mobile, and wait for a lighter car to hotrod.

If sticking with the 302, it has EEC-III speed density EFI. That means you can't do much without also re-tuning. No big deal, except that EEC-III tuning gear is almost non-existent, and expensive if you can get it. So, you're looking at a replacement system, such as a later EEC-IV ECM, intake, injectors, etc. Or the intake setup, but with aftermarket control like MegaSquirt so tuning is easier and cheaper.

After doing one of those, then adding power is possible because you can re-tune to make the power the parts can allow. What you're asking for is possible (anything is possible), but understand it can be a challenge to get impressive performance from a big car like that. List your goals.

David

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I just purchased a mint 1983 town car for $500 with nothing wrong with it, but since I'm young and can't leave well enough alone, it needs some more power.

Problem is i don't know anything about the 302 efi windsor, I'm usually do Hondas and Toyotas, and I'm pretty good at em so I can do the work.

1:heads-are there bigger ones that'll swap over with minimum work?

a head is a head, they all take the same time and efforet ti change in an efi 302 in a lincoln.

I've been reading about Cleveland heads, whats the deal?

a cleveland head goes on a "cleveland" engine which is a 351 ci engine and they can be adapted to your block but a special intake must be used which eddy sells. 2v heads are ok but the 4 v heads will be way too big for your app and good luck finding headers for a 302 with cleveland heads in an 83 lincoln.

Will me having efi affect the heads I can use?

no.

3:intake manifold-I see the ones for the mustang 302 from edelbrock and summit, would they work?

any intake will "work" but they are specific to each app. ie., low end or high end hp etc..

What cfm rating would be good for a daily driver that stomps down I-80?

the stock one with the stock engine. i believe the exp;orer ones might be slightly bigger.

5:ignition-should I upgrade the whol dizzy, or just the coil and cap? Msd or not?

fancy ign won't hurt but it might not help unless you have high compression and/or turn above 6000 rpm. the stock system is computer controlled. you can disable it to run a normal distributor but i do not know how. since it is tied into your smog and efi.

if I'm in the wrong place with a lincoln I appologize. Thank you!

you're only in the wrong place if you want to keep it stock or lower it, put spokes on it and crushed velour interior. but if thats the case try the site below.

http://www.lowridermagazine.com/

·
Registered
674 Posts
83 towny should have a CFI or maybe carb possibly variable venturi unless someone else did a swap. Think 86 might be the first SEFI

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
83 towny should have a CFI or maybe carb possibly variable venturi unless someone else did a swap. Think 86 might be the first SEFI
+1. He said it was EFI, so that makes it CFI EEC-III. I think you're right, that he won't find any multi-port EFI for conversion to MS or EEC-IV until '86. That could be either batch-fire (standard 5.0 to early '90s) or SEFI (HO '88+), with no big advantage to either, except the crank trigger or TFI would dictate control options. IF going turbo, then the CFI could work fine as the CFM is not an issue with boost, but control would have to be MS or similar.

If NA or N2O, I'd look at some aftermarket Mustang or T-Bird shorty headers that might fit in that big bay. Some old factory take-offs would be cheap to buy and try to see where issues might be - if any. If the front dress isn't too wide, some cheap import turbo headers might fit, or use C6/D1 manifolds flipped forward for a cheap setup. Mild boost and a safety tune around 350hp or so would make it move with much more torque than NA, and no other engine mods. Whatcha think?

David

PS: Thinking more about it, my choice at this point for $ versus power would be to leave the stock CFI EFI, run it with a $250 MS1, only uprating the two injectors. Add a small turbo for instant tire-smokin' spooling, and hold boost to 6 psig so no intercooler would be necessary. Yea, that would be fun!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Shorty mUSTANG HEAers fit so do the aftermarket H pipes Not sure were the oxy sensors are but on a sefi harnesses to them have to be lengthened.
If He go s in the web site I posted lots of info on mods there for lincolins panthers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hey all.....

wow! sold it, bought it back, then sold it again......and guess what i just bought yesterday!!! yup my 83 is back and mad at me for never setting out to munch up ponies lmao.

anyway some things have gone wrong and somethings got updated.

jsyk it is a eec-3. i cant find a tuner ANYWHERE for it. whats the deal? they just suck that much. anything to update this pos system.

right now i have the block out and selecting heads. looking at edelbrock gt40's. any objection. they have the updated exhaust on it to help with that whole ford "bad flow" rep they have. can anyone suggest anything better or is that as good as it gets.

i have put ford mustang headers its it with cats and a dump pipe......but its soooooooo f------ noisey!!! think ill scrap and do a magnaflow custom setup. learned to do basic welding so i can atleast make that myself.

will rebuild bottom end. should i keep stock comp ratio or bump up? brand suggestion? if i do will the ecu be able to keep up?

made my own 15x10 steelies for the ass. but cant find a tire i want yet.

egr valve took a ****. and its one of those ones made for only a few years. any place to find one? delete possible? or mybe and update or conversion?

thanks for putting up with my questions. wil have pics and more info as well as questions soon

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Glutton for punishment, eh? Post #2 has recommendations for better heads and PSIG has the info for aftermarket controllers. Maybe a switch to carb would be easier. it really sounds like good money after bad, but if you're having fun, then that is all that matters.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well im actually thinking of switching over to the eec4 sequential system. Then setting up for very MILD boost.

Havent found a donor yet. But my main concern is my cluster in the car. Its digital from factory. And i like it. Does the eec3 ecu control that or does another module piggy back off it for the onfo it needs? If it does can i still use it or would i have to convert. Might also do light shot of nos.....maybe.

Realistic goal is maybe 450hp. Not a dragger, but enough to give imports a good run for there money due to the shear mass of my cars body. I like the sleeper idea. Ya know, grandmas ride kicks a-- lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts