Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 1974 ford 302 and a 1966 289 c code, the 289 needs an overhaul and the 302 is ready to go but i just rebuilt the heads on the 289 and the 302s heads need rebuilt, would i gain anything by putting the 289s heads on the 302? Or would it be about the same? Or would i be downgrading ? Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
289 heads will give you higher compression. Stock cam in a heavy car you may need to back the timing off a little. It will mean a little more power so I think I would use them. If the 66 heads have the round push rod holes you can use rockers and push rods from either. Valves and ports are more or less the same.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
If it's a 74 block it should start with a D4 casting number. Those blocks, used from 74-77, have a .023" higher deck than blocks made before or after. Your small chamber 289 heads would really help matters.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Alright thanks for the replys, and will i need to use the 302s push rods?
Unless you did something special or fancy with the valve train in the heads or had them shaved you should be fine, just to be extra sure there is a tool for measuring what length push rods you need, I don't remember what it's called at the moment but it's cheap insurance and a new set of push rods is also pretty cheap (hardened rods are an absolute must-have if you have guide plates installed in the heads).

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Unless you did something special or fancy with the valve train in the heads or had them shaved you should be fine, just to be extra sure there is a tool for measuring what length push rods you need, I don't remember what it's called at the moment but it's cheap insurance and a new set of push rods is also pretty cheap (hardened rods are an absolute must-have if you have guide plates installed in the heads).
called an adjustable push rod , get one within the basic lenght range
they do have limits on spring pressure .

guide plates or not the 289 unmod p/r slots also need harden p/r's

1 - 12 of 12 Posts