Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After doing some looking around I found the new $500 5.0 blocks available from Summit, so that will probably be the basis for my engine.

This will be a carbureted street only engine in a 64 Fairlane with C4 and 3.00 gears, running a mild cam, something like a XE258HR.

I may try doing the clearancing for the stroker myself. How much clearancing is typically needed for a 331 kit vs a 347 kit. Would it be significantly easier to clearance for the 3.25 stroke crank?

This will be my first time doing something like this myself and don't want to screw it up.

I also want this to be a reliable engine for a driver (not daily, but 4-5K annually). Would it be more reliable and longer lasting as a 327 or 342?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: truedog on 11/17/06 10:31pm ]</font>

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Problems, advantages-disadvantages for 327/342 are similar or the same as detailed in the recent 331/347 debates. The only difference is a .015 "clean-up" over-bore.

What does that mean?...you have another safe bore in the engine. The only problem, is whether or not the block is correct when you recieve it. Many Machine shop will want to hone or bore a new block, just to make sure eveything is by the numbers.

The discussion on 302 strokers is has been widely argued in several thread on the site and in the Stroker forum, there is no benefit in going over it again, there is no new ground to cover.

But, that doesn't mean it won't start all over again.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Like Beo said.... its the same arguement as any 331 vs. 347 discussion.

To answer the best of your question...

The 331 with I-beams generaly doesn't requie any clearancing. The 347 requires about a dime sized spot on each cylinder. H-beams will require clearancing either way.

Brian
www.adperformance.com

1 - 4 of 4 Posts