Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of buying a 302 Ford crate engine (turn key). The builder says he can get 330hp from the cam the compression (9 2 1) and running it on premium pump gas 91 octain. I know it's going to have duel plane intake manifold, 600cfm carb along with a lot of great parts and machine work.
My question is. Is this possable using only stock heads from a late model 302 ford engine? He isn't using after market heads.
I am just learning this stuff so please bare with me if I ask dumb questions but he makes it sound easy and a buddy of mine says no way is he getting that much HP with stock heads.
The shop seems very reputable. It's Phoenix Engine Rebuilders and they have been in buisness for 40yrs. The engine is the aprox $3400.00.
Any help would be great thanks.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
What heads is he using and what's he doing to them? You can get quite a bit of power out of GT40 and GT40P heads which are factory cast iron heads.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
You can buy a Ford Motorsport carte engine for less than $3300 delivered to house.

FORD RACING CRATE ENGINE 306 CUBIC INCH 340HP

Part Number: M6007X302

340 Horsepower Ford Racing 306ci Crate Engine.

Get on the road with exceptional Ford Racing engine performance value from Ford Racing's new 306 cubic inch crate engine!

Produces 340 horsepower at 5500 RPM. Will work with Automatic or manual transmission. Can be used in kit cars, street rods, Mustangs and Fox-bodied cars. Intake gaskets M9439A50 are required. Firing order 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 (5.0L HO and 351W order).

Features:
-9.0:1 compression ratio (nominal)
-Forged Mahle pistons 4.030"
-E303 camshaft
-Aluminum Ford Racing "X" cylinder heads, (M6049X306) with 1.94" intake valves and 1.54" exhaust valves (production is 1.78"/1.45")
-50in/oz imbalance rotating assembly (common to 1981 and newer 302s)
-Seasoned block and precision ground crankshaft
-"Ford Racing" polished aluminum valve covers (M6000K302R)
-Production forged steel connecting rods
-New production 4-bolt crankshaft damper (M6316M50)
-Hydraulic roller camshaft (M6250E303), .498" lift intake and exhaust, duration at .050" is 220 degrees intake and exhaust
-Double roller timing chain set
-New dual sump oil pan (M6674A50), fits most Fox body cars
-New oil pump

The following items may need to be modified for proper installation:
-A different performance oil pan and pickup may be required for your application.
-Timing chain cover will work with most standard rotation water pumps.
-Fuel pump eccentric M6287B302 installed, allows use of a mechanical fuel pump.

*Water pump not included. Use water pump M8501G351 standard rotation applications or use water pump M8501C50 for reverse rotation applications. For short serpentine or 1994-1995 Mustangs use kit M8501A50 or for short V-belt use water pump M8501E351S.
*Flywheel not included. Requires 50 oz. imbalance flywheel M6375B302 (T-5) or flexplate M6375A50 (AOD).

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
I'm "uncomfortable" with much of the listed parts and verbiage on that web site. You'd be in better shape with the FRPP engine IMHO.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I am thinking of buying a 302 Ford crate engine (turn key). The builder says he can get 330hp from the cam the compression (9 2 1) and running it on premium pump gas 91 octain. I know it's going to have duel plane intake manifold, 600cfm carb along with a lot of great parts and machine work.
My question is. Is this possable using only stock heads from a late model 302 ford engine? He isn't using after market heads.
I am just learning this stuff so please bare with me if I ask dumb questions but he makes it sound easy and a buddy of mine says no way is he getting that much HP with stock heads.
The shop seems very reputable. It's Phoenix Engine Rebuilders and they have been in buisness for 40yrs. The engine is the aprox $3400.00.
Any help would be great thanks.
Yes it is possible. My impression of the web site is that they offer a lot of different engine versions from mild to wild and they are upfront about it...no bull. I also get the impression that they have a good amount of experience. It looks like they do a 5 angle valve job on the heads which can help significantly. Maybe they are E7s or some other head version.

That engine would be a nice running engine. The post about the Ford 340 HP crate engine is definitely something to consider though. It has a lot more potential if you decide to upgrade in the future.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
It is possible to get that much power with stock heads with decent compression or good "flowing" stock heads...Since it's only 9:1 hopefully the heads are worked a little and the rest of the motor is a very carefully thought out combo..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a lot to the people who took the time to check out the site and give me an opinion. I went ahead and bought it. So to all the people who took my question as an invitation to try and sell me something...sorry.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
In the very early 70s I built a 289 using the stock heads - there wasn't much else available at the time - and it made 350+ hp.
I did a radiused valve grind on the valves and seats, used 11.25:1 compression ratio, a Cobra High rise manifold and a single 4 bbl carb. A lot of detail work went into that engine and a lot of machine work.
I don't think it is out of the question to make 330 hp with a 302 using iron heads.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank's Paul
After I visited the shop and saw how much they cared about what they were doing not to mention the way the owner treated me and worked with me I felt really good about it and went with my gut.
I know I bug my buddy with all my stupid questions about engines and stuff but I'm new to it.
Take care. Steve
I can't wait to wrap up the project and show it off. Don't think you see many 63 Econoline p/u's 331hp full disk breaks, 9" rear end, a/c and all the other little mods we are doing around.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts