Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
If you had the clutch adjusted so it grabs immediately off the floor you probably do need more adjustment to be sure the clutch is fully disengaged at higher revs(less free play at the top of the pedal)..Also if you are running a stock type mechanical clutch linkage be sure that it isn't bending(very common) or flexing as the motor torques over under load...Another thing is getting your seat adjusted so you are comfortable and able to work the clutch pedal quickly and smoothly..It may be a different setting than what is comfy when you are just cruising down the road...
good points on the seat position. The acceleration did set me back in the seat a tad farther so i should move it up some even if it is uncomfortable. I have a hydraulic clutch but will play with the free play adjustment some more.
Thanks

·
Registered
165 Posts
you should definately port the intake. afr 205 heads flow well over 300cfm intake, where as a victor jr's runners flow around 260cfm stock. So, if you can only get 260cfm of air through the intake you are in turn choking off the heads and not utilizing all of the flow potential there.

your setup apears to work well, however i feel that there is a lot more left given those heads and cam.

the 1 5/8 headers and the 2.5 inch exhaust may be restricting you slightly as well, but i do fell that they are mostly responsible for the impressive torque curve. to me, a cam that big and heads that big with around 11:1 compression and 331 cu in shouldn't have any problems making power well past 7000rpm.

we just finished an engine for my friends fox body, it is a 347 10:1 with ported patriot heads that flowed 278 intake 190 exhaust (junk heads i know) the cam is a comp .614/.621 248/254 street roller, gold race rockers, 1 3/4 headers, 3 in exhaust, ported parker funnelweb intake with 850 holley and it made 422 at the wheels through a toploader, 435 open headers at 7000. torque was 373 muffled, 379 open tube. 35 deg total. I dont have a dyno sheet though.

again, im not saying theres anything wrong with your setup, but i do feel that there is some serious horsepower and some rpm to be had with a ported intake.

best of luck at the track!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Made it to the track last night and got 4 passes in, but only 2 without missing a shift. Had the skinny tires on (E70/14) cause I wanted to see what it will do with them on. This was the quickest, but not the best RT or 60'

RT 0.668 ( I know)
60' 2.129
330' 5.456
1/8 8.186
MPH 91.25
1000 10.516

ET 12.498
MPH 114.43

·
Registered
70 Posts
That's a healthy stroker. So you ran that time with E 70s? Wow. How did you launch it?
That 60 foot time shows that you easily have an 11 second car with a better launch. That's really good for the mild gears and shows the power of light weight!
Also did you run it open or through the mufflers?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
That's a healthy stroker. So you ran that time with E 70s? Wow. How did you launch it?
That 60 foot time shows that you easily have an 11 second car with a better launch. That's really good for the mild gears and shows the power of light weight!
Also did you run it open or through the mufflers?
Yes Zandifam that was on the E70/14 's. My 60ft times were, 2.107, 2.129, 2.031, 2.230. I never had a good launch, too many rpms but adrenaline was taking over and I couldn't hear the engine good with the helmet on. This is with the lean street jets still in it so its down 25hp atleast. I was basically dumping the clutch at 2500-3000. No burnout. First time there so I was nervous. Best run was thru the mufflers but I only had 2 runs that I didn't miss a shift. No consistency yet to draw any conclusions. Thanks

·
Registered
578 Posts
Yes Zandifam that was on the E70/14 's. My 60ft times were, 2.107, 2.129, 2.031, 2.230. I never had a good launch, too many rpms but adrenaline was taking over and I couldn't hear the engine good with the helmet on. This is with the lean street jets still in it so its down 25hp atleast. I was basically dumping the clutch at 2500-3000. No burnout. First time there so I was nervous. Best run was thru the mufflers but I only had 2 runs that I didn't miss a shift. No consistency yet to draw any conclusions. Thanks

With some traction the 114 mph says you have enough power to run 11.8 ET easy with a little practise!

·
Registered
154 Posts
you should definately port the intake. afr 205 heads flow well over 300cfm intake, where as a victor jr's runners flow around 260cfm stock. So, if you can only get 260cfm of air through the intake you are in turn choking off the heads and not utilizing all of the flow potential there.

your setup apears to work well, however i feel that there is a lot more left given those heads and cam.

the 1 5/8 headers and the 2.5 inch exhaust may be restricting you slightly as well, but i do fell that they are mostly responsible for the impressive torque curve. to me, a cam that big and heads that big with around 11:1 compression and 331 cu in shouldn't have any problems making power well past 7000rpm.

we just finished an engine for my friends fox body, it is a 347 10:1 with ported patriot heads that flowed 278 intake 190 exhaust (junk heads i know) the cam is a comp .614/.621 248/254 street roller, gold race rockers, 1 3/4 headers, 3 in exhaust, ported parker funnelweb intake with 850 holley and it made 422 at the wheels through a toploader, 435 open headers at 7000. torque was 373 muffled, 379 open tube. 35 deg total. I dont have a dyno sheet though.

again, im not saying theres anything wrong with your setup, but i do feel that there is some serious horsepower and some rpm to be had with a ported intake.

best of luck at the track!
I was curious about the 1 5/8 headers myself. Killer sleeper though. Nobody would see that coming with the street tires and hubcaps and everything. =)

21 - 30 of 30 Posts