Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 66 mustang I building a 331 Stroker for. I need to know opitions on this cam. I'll give you my spec's Rearend = Quick performance 31 spline 9" with 3.50 with true trac , Keisler RS45 5 speed 1st=3.37 2nd=1.99 3rd=1.33 4th=1.00 5th=0.67 , Heads= Avenger cylinder heads 190cc with 2.02 valves and set up for hydraulic roller max lift .650 with 60cc chambers , Steath intake Got a 670 holly street avenger carb. but thinking of going with a 750 mechanical advance. I'm gonna drive this car pretty much on the street but want it to kick butt too. I'm planning on burning 91+ but want it to run good on pump gas. I think I will be running close to 10:1 compression. I don't plan on turning over 6200 RPM .Been told this cam would work good then told it would be too big for the street . I want to know what y'all think. Ok the cam I'm looking at is Brand: Howards Cams

Manufacturer's Part Number: CL222735-12

Part Type: Camshaft and Lifter Kits

Product Line: Howards Cams Retro-Fit Hydraulic Roller Camshaft and Lifter Kits

Summit Racing Part Number: HRS-CL222735-12

Cam Style: Hydraulic roller tappet

Basic Operating RPM Range: 2,800-6,800

Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift: 235

Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift: 241

Duration at 050 inch Lift: 235 int./241 exh.

Advertised Intake Duration: 288

Advertised Exhaust Duration: 294

Advertised Duration: 288 int./294 exh.

Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.581 in.

Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.581 in.

Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.581 int./0.581 exh.

Lobe Separation (degrees): 112

Camshaft Gear Attachment: 1-bolt

Computer-Controlled Compatible: No

Lifters Included: Yes

Lifter Style: Hydraulic roller

Valve Springs Included: No

Retainers Included: No

Locks Included: No

Valve Stem Seals Included: No

Timing Chain and Gears Included: No

Assembly Lubricant Included: Yes

Pushrods Included: No

Rocker Arms Included: No

Gaskets Included: No

Valve Springs Required: Yes

Camshaft Manufacturers Description: Lopey idle, hot street and bracket racing. 10.0:1+ compression ratio advised

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
go with smaller (8 to 10* less at .050) cam with a tighter lsa

btw got a friend building a 5 speed , got one of those trans for sale

smaller cam is more street friendly , one spec would be more track with lower rear and slicks on d/strip

·
Registered
1,604 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Why limit to 6200? That cam is going to probably make power to 7000 so if your really going to limit to 6200, its not the right cam.

There is no reason to limit to 6200 unless your using inferior rods and/or really heavy pistons. 7000 is not out of the question by any means and striving for more RPM is a performance advantage.

·
Registered
165 Posts
ive always liked the comp cams 286hr, its hyd roller with .598" on both sides, 230* on both sides. motor is going to rev more than 6200.

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Probably the most popular off-the-shelf roller cam for 331/347 strokers is the Comp XE274HR.

COMP Cams Xtreme Energy Camshafts 35-518-8 - SummitRacing.com

You can often find them used for half the retail price.
That's the cam I have in my 347 and love it. Makes great power and sounds really healthy too. The engine builder (CHP) and others I asked highly recomended it for my build and it worked out perfect. My car is 98% street driven with a C4 (3,000 stall) and 3.50 gears.

John

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replys. My short block is one from fordstrokers . I been talking to Jim over there the last few days. He has been really helpful.I might just have him send me a custom grind. In was told that hydraulic lifter won't hold up after about 6200-6500 RPM . Is there any truth to that ? Thats why I said I was gonna keep it under 6200. I don't want to run a solid roller since I'm planning on driving this car about 3 or 4 days a week.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
I've built engines that run 7k rpm with hyd. lifters.

big and small blocks and not just Fords

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Thanks for all the replys. My short block is one from fordstrokers . I been talking to Jim over there the last few days. He has been really helpful.I might just have him send me a custom grind. In was told that hydraulic lifter won't hold up after about 6200-6500 RPM . Is there any truth to that ? Thats why I said I was gonna keep it under 6200. I don't want to run a solid roller since I'm planning on driving this car about 3 or 4 days a week.
Hydraulics can be set up to run to 7000...not a problem. I used to run them zero lash to years ago to eliminate or minimize lifter pump up.

Since its a retrofit roller cam, why not use a solid flat tappet if your worried about operation above 6500?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hydraulics can be set up to run to 7000...not a problem. I used to run them zero lash to years ago to eliminate or minimize lifter pump up.

Since its a retrofit roller cam, why not use a solid flat tappet if your worried about operation above 6500?
I'm not really worried about running that kinda RPM . I just want a nice car to drive around. I do want it to be pretty nasty but don't want to it to suck just driving it on a nice weekend cruise. Plus if I drive it 4-5 days a week that would be about 320 miles a week I don't want to have to set the lash on my valves all the time which I heard I would be doing with a solid.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I'm not really worried about running that kinda RPM . I just want a nice car to drive around. I do want it to be pretty nasty but don't want to it to suck just driving it on a nice weekend cruise. Plus if I drive it 4-5 days a week that would be about 320 miles a week I don't want to have to set the lash on my valves all the time which I heard I would be doing with a solid.
Understand...except the suck just driving it on a nice weekend cruise part. Adjusting valve lash a lot is poor advice from someone who probably does not have a solid cam.

If a solid requires a lot of lash setting, something is wrong with the setup. Before I took the plunge to solid years ago, I had similar concerns. My concerns were quickly absolved.

Many solids today have tight lash and they are quiet and are easy on valve trains...yet they provide superior valve train stability over hydraulics at high rpms.

Hydraulics can be made to live up to 7000 though if hydraulic is your choice.

I try to sway people who artificially limit their RPM on SBFs to not do it. Limiting a 289 or 289/302 based stroker to 6000 or 6200 is throwing a lot of potential away.

A 400 HP 7000 RPM engine will generally outperform a 400 HP 6000 RPM engine.

Best of luck on whichever way you go. :tup:

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
A 400 HP 7000 RPM engine will generally outperform a 400 HP 6000 RPM engine.
Then 400 hp 10,000 rpm engine must be the ultimate. LOL

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Then 400 hp 10,000 rpm engine must be the ultimate. LOL
well the F-1 guys think so... (altho they are dealing with more hp, AND smaller displacement....)

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
RPM is always the winner . why a high rpm with smaller cubes can beat a large lower rpm engine on the track
Always?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I'd say yes always. exact same car/set-up driver, everything equal cept motor, think the small cube high rpm will win...

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Close to your choice, little milder -Comp Hydralic roller- 280H-R10
Duration - .223/.234 @ .50
Lift- .560
LS- 110
Motor -347 -6 speed auto/3:73's- Dyno;d- [email protected]
408 ft.lbs
Limited at 6200rpm, but., still pulling very well,
I have no doubt it would pull to 7K, its me that won't!
Great idle too & enough vac. for p.brakes

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
I'd say yes always. exact same car/set-up driver, everything equal cept motor, think the small cube high rpm will win...
everything can't be 100% equal , yes for car weight , driver .
the total package would be different for each.

what would be equal is same heads , carb , type of cam , C/R

now if the same engines but one was built for high rpm . high rpm still win's even at the same dyno HP/TQ numbers

1 - 20 of 29 Posts