Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have ordered my 331 stroker kit with the forged pistons.What would be a good solid camshaft for it.I will probably be using AFR 225 heads and vic. jr. intake.I will probably drive the 65 mustang bout 3 days a week on the street.It will have 3:80 gears.Also will it be better with a toploader 4-speed or a T-5 from a 86 mustang G.T.What type of horse power would I espect to get from this stroker.I really do need to know what a good solid cam would be even a part number would help for ordering purposes.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
AFR 225s will be too big unless you want to spin it 7500+RPMs but the AFR 185s would be just right up to 7500RPM. The Victor Jr intake is too restrictive for the AFR 225 heads. You will need the Super Vr 302 intake if using the AFR 225 heads and spin the piss out of it. Victor Jr and AFR 185 heads would be a great match though.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Ditto... 205's will be too big, and 3.08's wont be a good gear.

You would be better off with 185's AFR's and something like a Trick Flow Stage 2 cam (hydraulic roller, 224/232 about .560's lift)

On a Scat 331 stroker with AFR 185 heads, vic. jr intake, 650 prepped carb, this combo made 442 HP @ 6200 and over 400 lb torque from 3500 to 6200 - flywheel. Compression was around 10.5:1

WIth 3.08's you could be fine with those numbers, but with AFR 205's you'd relaly lose low end and need to spin to 7000+ to make those head work optimally, which would make the gearing really deficient.

We (FORDMUSCLE) also just ordered a 331 kit, we'll be doing that project in the next month or so.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Hey 67Stang, he said he had 3.80 gears not 3.08's.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
On 2002-02-28 18:46, RonMeyer wrote:

Hey 67Stang, he said he had 3.80 gears not 3.08's.
damn dsylexia!

Well even then, I think 205's are a little too big unless he plans high rpm power (or a blower).

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I just finished another 331. Catpep crank and rods. Flattop piston from SRP. Cam is from Ultradyne. Solid flat tappet. Lift is .586, and the duration @.050 is 248. For the carb combo we used a Victor Jr. and a demon 750. The heads are AFR 185's. Right out of the box. Simple yet very effective combo.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 85Mike on 3/1/02 9:07am ]</font>

·
Registered
41 Posts
Unless you have a big cam and some real compression you will have very little low end at all and probably not much midrange either. I'd agree with the other guys about the 185s being better or if your gonna make big rpm maybe the 205s.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So would it be btter to use 4:11 gears and also what would be better the 4- speed oe the 5-speed

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats what i thought so i will go for the toploader then anyone got one by chance.Also where can I get a set of AFR 185's at what are the prices for a set of heads.

·
Registered
10 Posts
In my 331 I am using a Crower solid cam part #15322. Great cam! Run the numbers through desktop dyno and see what you think. I'm running the Windsor Jr. cast iron heads, which have been ported and valve upgraded. I am at 10.36 to 1. It has the 4340 forged crank, 4340 I-beam rods, a DSS crank girdle. It pulls hard all the way up to 7500, even then it feels like it wants to go more. Lots of fun! I have a top loader with the 4.11's and I am not happy with any extended freeway driving. It's crazy, going along at 65 with the motor reving 4000. No good. I'm going to swap out the gears with 3.50"s or something like that.

Mark

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mark,
Thats the kind of info. I wanted.What type of horse power and torque are u getting fom your motor if ima ask.Can anyone run that on the desktop dyno for me.
Bill

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mark,
What are those cam specs if I may ask.Does the cam sound good does it cam good?Is your motor balanced at all how much more power will that add?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Hey Fordmanz. Where are you located? I've got a spare Toploader I might be willing to get rid of. I'm in Indiana. If your too far, shipping would kill you though. Email me if your interested.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am located in southwest Mich. I go through Indiana all the time I got to go to Texas in may I maybe able to pick it up.How much do you want for it?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Fordmanz, I'm in southwest indiana. Right in the tip, by evansville. Let me check it out and make sure everything is ok. It was in a car with no motor when I got it. I hadn't used it yet. I'll take the cover off of it this weekend and make sure everythings ok and I'll email you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts