Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of building a 331 stroker (Eagle kit). I have heard in the past that fitting a stud girdle can be a problen due to fitment issues.
Any one know what brand of stud girdle fits best? I know FMS has one, But it costs approx $350 (cdn). Also, I assume that you definately have to use an aftermarket oil pan (7qt)???

Can any one shed some light on the stud girdle/oil pan fitment issues? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BLACK65FORDFALCON on 10/23/06 12:37am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
There are a hundred brands of main supports on the market. From 79$ to 400$. http://www.fordstrokers.com has a couple of nice ones, and their top of the line one is like 299$, but is made from 1/2" billet steel, rather than cold rolled steel. Their entry level girdle is...149$ I think? And is still a sturdy piece, 3/8 cold rolled. They're designed to fit a stock pan if I recall, and also to clear strokers. They ALSO, and this is important, require no machining of your main caps. Although they may require minute clearancing with a grinder across the back.

Like I said, there ARE cheaper out there, but these are pretty good quality, and work.

Cris

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Is1BadFord on 10/22/06 5:50am ]</font>

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BadFord - Thanks I will look into them.

Anyone else out there running a 331 stroker and using a stud girdle? If so what girdle were you using and what oil pan did you have to use. Thanks for any more help, It is always appreciated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I purchased a stud girdle from DSS racing. It required a little manipulation of the oil pick up but otherwise fit inside the stock oil pan. Good luck with whatever product you choose.

Mark

·
Registered
252 Posts
I used an older aluminum one from Ford Motorsports. It took some major surgery and two gaskets under the oil pump mounting point to clear the girdle. Once it's in it works fine.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Ford motorsports girdle I believe IS a DSS girdle. We've had them side by side and couldn't tell the difference, other than markings.

Cris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts