Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I had a fuel leak (see other thread) and i thought it was one of the fuel lines so i took the lines off and replaced with new ones and a filter aswell. Wouldnt start, Just kept cranking. So i discovered that there was no fuel getting to the carb, So i replaced the fuel pump (cheap insurance). Still will not start. Put some fuel in carb and it will start for a second. I put $15 of gas in tank so that should not be a problem. I havent touched anything else, But prior to all this the car started fine. I dont get it. 331 engine with only a 1000 miles on it. 1965 falcon. Any ideas on what is going on hear all of a sudden. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Since everything was fine before you replaced the line and filter I would start there..Is fuel getting through the line and the filter?........If so then I would check the pump to see if it is working..You could just run a rubber hose into a small can of gas right off of the fuel pump to eliminate your fuel lines..

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im not getting any fuel to the carb so I replaced the fuel pump (cheap insurance). I then ran a line into a jerry can and cranked the engine over, But still nothing came out. So as of now everything is new (pump,filter,fuel lines). But it will not start, Just keep cranking till battery eventually dies. Thanks once again.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Check on the suction side of fuel pump if it is sucking while it rolls over. If it doesn't then you may have lost the fuel pump eccentric on the cam. If its sucking then it should pull fuel from the tank if you don't have any blockage or pulling air from a leaking hose.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Did you compare the new pump to the old one, were they the same?
Especially the arm that goes into the block and rides on the cam eccentric.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
X2. Isolate the pump to determine if it is pumping. Take the feed off the carb and see if the pump is pushing fuel to the carb, if not, then figure out why the pump is not pumping.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
One more thing to check would be that new fuel filter you bought. Make sure it is not plugged and you have the flow correct.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok thanks guys. A couple of things. The new fuel pump looked very identical to the old one. The arm looked the same. I didnt really have any problems getting the pump in, It seemed to go in fairly easy. I didn't have to bump the engine or anything. I took the fuel filter line off of the pump and cranked it over but nothing came out... Dry as a bone. However I will pull that line off again and get someone to crank the engine and I will look to see if there is any pressure/sucking. I have a feeling there wont be cause there was no gas coming out when I cranked the engine over. As for the new filter I blew on it and air came out the other side so it shouldn't be plugged.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Should I also check the pickup and sock mesh in the gas tank? If so how do I go about getting the pickup and sock mesh filter out and inspected/replaced??? None of the parts stores around here carry this part so I called a classic mustang vendor and they have the pickup/sock mesh assmebly for $45. He said that the 65 mustang part will work on a 65 falcon... Can anyone verify this for sure? Thanks once again.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Ran into something like this with my old Maverick. Ran it out of fuel (actually my bro did). I ended up having to prime the pump, getting the bowls filled up, and eventually it would self sustain. Crazy how long it took to get it to actually pull fuel.

On another car, the sock was stopped up-or partially. Played heck trying to get that going too. Friend of mine suggested the sock and I'd never heard of it before. But I found it and sure enough it was pretty nasty.

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
You might have the wrong one, and in ANY case I'd definitely take it off and return it for a warranty replacement. I've have many out of the box bad alternators and fuel pumps. It happens.

Secondly, make sure you have the fuel inlet hooked up to the Inlet and so forth.

Another test... Remove the fuel pump, get a light and Mirror and LOOK into the timing cover and see if your Eccentric is still in place.

If so work the arm on the fuel pump down about 1 inch and release, it should sound like a Sick Rubber Ducky if the diaphragm is working.... Either way it will shoot out fuel if you work the pump enough and it WILL pull from the tank, but the fuel line isn't empty because you tanks isn't siphoning the fuel line dry when the car shuts off.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks FE, My fuel pump isnt marked inlet/outlet. The metal fuel line coming from the gas tank up into a rubber hose does that one go into the port closest to the firewall side? And the fuel filter hose goes into the port on the pump that is closest to the radiator side. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Yep that's the inlet and outlet all right, I recommend checking the eccentric, and when you pull it off to pump it by hand.../

That may work but the diaphragm may be wrong or the arm might be for a different style timing cover and not reaching the eccentric at all.

No matter the cam position there is Pressure on the fuel pump arm at all times. If yours slips on no problem then you got the wrong one.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Thanks FE, My fuel pump isnt marked inlet/outlet. The metal fuel line coming from the gas tank up into a rubber hose does that one go into the port closest to the firewall side? And the fuel filter hose goes into the port on the pump that is closest to the radiator side. Thanks.
No, Not necessarily on a stock style pump.. The inlet from the tank on two pumps I have here use a brass hose nipple and the outlet uses a screw in fitting for the line going to the carb. which is under pressure. On the old Carter ,with the screw on filter on the bottom, has the inlet closer to the firewall. On the other pump (a newer carter) has the inlet fitting closest to the radiator and the outlet on top next to the block.
So after reading all your different treads on this I'm incline to believe you have the inlet and outlet crossed. It is easy to figure out. Remove your pump and lines and put your finger over one of the holes and work the lever. The inlet will have a vacuum effect. This was all mentioned before in the other post but, you must not have read them.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: 331 will not start (driving me crazy) - UPDATE

Update - The problem was the fuel pump so I replaced that and then I had the inlet/outlet crossed so I fixed that and the car ran great for 1 day. Now the new problem, car is a tad hard to start and wont stay running. I thought I was out of gas but there is plenty in there and I confirmed that there is gas indeed getting to the carb. Problem is it will not stay running for long and will not idle on its own. Never had a problem with this 331 stroker before but now its giving me grief. Any ideas of what is going on here, Ran great for 1 day with the new fuel pump and then now this. I noticed that it was a bit out of tune cause it hasnt been tuned since it was built and put on the dyno 4 years ago, But this is redicoulous the way it is running right now. Thanks for any help/info.​

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Sounds like you may have stirred up some dirt in the fuel system...If you look down the carb when it is running poorly do you see fuel dripping from the shooter nozzles?..If so you probably have dirt hanging up one of the float needles..

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks frdnut - Good Idea, How do I fix that? Can I spray some carb cleaner in that area to clean it all out? Can dirt really make an engine run that poorly and make it so it wont idle worth a damn? Thanks once again.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Thanks frdnut - Good Idea, How do I fix that? Can I spray some carb cleaner in that area to clean it all out? Can dirt really make an engine run that poorly and make it so it wont idle worth a damn? Thanks once again.
fix a carb with dirt in side the bowl . ...tear down and clean or can callit rebuild

1 - 19 of 19 Posts