Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The popular term for a 3.25" stroke x 4.030" bore 302 motor seems to be a 331. It actually displaces 329 cubic inches. ( 3.14 x 4.030 x 3.25 x 8 ) But Ford never made a 331, so it sounds and looks awkward. Ford did, however, make a 332 FE, a long time ago. So calling my motor a 332", naturally comes from my familiarity of my older brother's FE big blocks.
Anyway, that aside, I have a 332" stroker 302. And the only thing that's still stock is the block itself, which is a 1975 302 casting from a Mustang II. Why did I use an early 302 block as opposed to the newer 302 roller blocks? Because the older blocks are a lot heavier, and a lot stronger, than the newer "5.0" blocks, of course. Most of that weigh savings Ford got from lightening the 302 block came at a cost to the main webbing areas.
On top of the older block, I used a steel billet stud girdle as well. Insurance is nice.
The motor has a forged 4340 Eagle 3.25" crankshaft, Forged 4340 Eagle 5.5" rods, and JE ultralight forged pistons, with free floating pins and yes, support plugs behind the oil rings. JEs system of supporting the lower ring is such that my motor doesn't use a drop of oil. By using the longer rods, a rod-stroke ratio of 1.69 was attained, which is the same as a stock 302. I have a set of Track Heat TFS heads with mild port work, and a ported Victor intake and 750 Race Demon on top, and an MSD distributor. The camshaft is an older Wolverine/Blue Racer piece(before Crane bought them out, and made them suck) that uses solid lifters, and has a duration(s) of 250/260 @.050". The motor idles very rough at 1300 rpm with 7" of vacuum. According to a very similar engine build by CarCraft magazine, the motor should make in the neighborhood of 530hp at the crankshaft, but I've never tested it, so I don't really know for sure. Behind the motor is a 5000 rpm billet converter, in a C4 manual-shifted auto built by Dynamic Racing Transmissions in CT. What did I put this motor in? A 1977 Mustang II. My brother gave me the car in 1989 as a birthday present, so it's sentimental. Anyway, I swapped in a 1959 T-bird 9" rear with locker and 3.10 gears. I did some lightening by removing whatever wasn't necessary to go fast from the car. I rebuilt the entire chassis front and rear, with heavier springs, and installed Cobra R 17" wheels with 275/40ZR17 rubber. I installed a Pinto manual steering rack, because it a) shaved 35 lbs from the front end, and b) got rid of that parasitic-leeching power steering pump. I also run an electric fan and an aluminum Fluidyne radiator. The car weighed in at 2350 lbs on my scale, empty of fuel, spare tire, etc. I found a nice BMW aluminum jack, btw, it weighs almost nothing, and I carry a tiny doughnut spare. The car will smoke the 275/40s at 50mph if I jump on it, and pulls ridiculously hard until I let off it. If I launch it in 3rd gear, the tires will squeal a bit for about 200 feet, but won't quite spin. 2nd gear is useless at full throttle, as the tires go up in smoke. I honestly don't remember ever using 1st gear before. I'm not sure why it's even there. I have plans to pull the motor, send the heads out for all-out CNC porting, and I want to have a super victor CNC matched to them. For new headers, I'm planning on building SS equals of 1 7/8" diameter, running into 3 1/2" collectors and 3 1/2" exhaust.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
p.s. To better contain the power, I am planning on a 4 link backhalf, widening of the stock wells, and running some really fat drag radials. I figure with another 60-80hp and hooking a lot better, I might have a low 10 second street car, all motor, on pump gas.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
...free floating pins and yes, support plugs behind the oil rings. JEs system of supporting the lower ring is such that my motor doesn't use a drop of oil.
...hmmpf... Interesting.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
My car says 329 in 3 places...both fender emblems and the license plate frame say Boss 329. I think 329 sounds good...a 429s little brother.

Here is a pic of the emblems in the making from combining the 9 from 289 and the 3 and 2 from 302 emblems.

http://home.earthlink.net/imagelib/sitebuilder/misc/show_image.html?linkedwidth=actual&linkpath=http://home.earthlink.net/~blkfrd/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/329emblem.jpg&target=tlx_new

Power to weight is huge. New cars suffer greatly from their weight...new Mustangs weigh in at 3600 and new Challengers weigh in at 4000 lbs.

What is your compression ratio?

·
Registered
29 Posts
What did you use for your crank rods and pistons? (with measurements please)

My car says 329 in 3 places...both fender emblems and the license plate frame say Boss 329. I think 329 sounds good...a 429s little brother.

Here is a pic of the emblems in the making from combining the 9 from 289 and the 3 and 2 from 302 emblems.

http://home.earthlink.net/imagelib/sitebuilder/misc/show_image.html?linkedwidth=actual&linkpath=http://home.earthlink.net/~blkfrd/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/329emblem.jpg&target=tlx_new

Power to weight is huge. New cars suffer greatly from their weight...new Mustangs weigh in at 3600 and new Challengers weigh in at 4000 lbs.

What is your compression ratio?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts