Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be my first complete engine builds, sorry in advance for all the questions! what started out as a normal 302 swap when my weak 2.9 v6 blew has now turned into a complete 347 stroker build. the parts I already have:
comp cam springs (942-16) with comp retainers, locks, etc.
Summit Racing cam (SUM-3601) with lifters
Edlebrock performer aluminum intake
Along with new gaskets, ARP headbolts, and some other small parts.

The vehicle is a 1989 Bronco 2 that is more of a street/show truck than anything that I am wanting to throw down some power. It had a 2.9 v6 in it before (so anything would be a upgrade) and i bought a ranger with a 302 thinking it would be a easier swap.. did not happen. The bearings had bad scoring in them and before I knew it I was in this motor deeper than i thought. Since I have to change some of the bottom end I figured I might as well make it a 347 and get everything new. I am looking at a scat stroker kit right now (I have not purchased it yet).
Here are some questions:

The alumimum heads I am looking at have a lower lb spring rate than My comp cam springs. Do you want a higher lb rate than lower? and are these edlebrock e-street heads a good beginner head (#5052)?

Rocker arms, are they worth it? I have read some advantages of them but will they really make that big of a difference?

Best stroker kit, The kit I am looking at is a SCAT kit
Scat Stroker Series 9000 347 ci Mustang Street-Strip Rotating Assembly 1-94165 (79-95 5.0L) - Free Shipping
Is this a good kit or would you go with a different kit or brand?

Thank you for looking and reading, hope to hear from you all, Thanks!

1,260 Posts
if yu want fairly big power you need an eddy rpm or air gap intake and roller cam and better heads but what you have will still have a lot more power than a stock 302

what is your gear ratio?

what trans?

vehicle weight?

do you want a mild, moderate or nasty idle?

lite to lite drag cr or freeway flier?

i would use the cam below if you want a torquey engine but dont want a roller cam

i would get these for a budget app if you use the cam above. . you cant run used rockers on new valves

i would get the kit from summit

FORD 5.0L/302 FORD SMALL BLOCK WINDSOR Engine Rotating Kits - 347 Actual Engine CID - 3.400 in. Engine Stroke (in) - No Balanced - Forged aluminum Piston Material - rotating-assemblies - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

heres the heads and you can use the springs that are on it for the cam above.

i would try your intake with and without a 1" spacer.

you need chromoly push rods
1 - 4 of 4 Posts