Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I purchased my CAT crankshaft through ebay. I think it was a 5140. It had Chevy printed on the box. I also purchased a balancer thinking that it was going on a 302 crank. I found out last night that it's incorrect in size. The snout on this CAT crank measures 1.4"
Has anyone had any experience with this type of crank?
What was this crank originally designed for sbc or sbf?
What balancer and flywheel goes with this crank?

·
Registered
237 Posts
id ditch it and go with scat much better cranks and rods cat dont know to much about local machine shop near me uses scat ALL the time just my opinon tho its your choice but scat is much better.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
About 6 years ago I got hooked up with a parts house here in town that had incredibly low prices (they're no longer in business...heh). Anyhow, I ordered a 3.4" crank from them...my rep told me I could get a Scat for xxx$, or their house brand for much cheaper. He assured me their house brand went through all the same quality checks etc etc, so I trusted him and picked it up. It was CAT. And man was it a royal piece of crap. I went to their warehouse to pick it up when it came in...and wouldn't accept it. The journals were literally grooved, among other issues (I don't remember them all, but I think one had to do with journal sizes being off as well). They ended up giving me a great deal on a Scat crank at their cost, using the money I paid for the CAT one.

Anyhow...the balancer I picked up from them was a CAT balancer, and it seemed ok...used it for quite a while. They seem to be decent for some parts, and royal crap for others...have never heard anything good about their cranks or rods, but main supports, balancers, etc seem to have less problems.

I know this doesn't help much, but any info is good info in my book!

Good luck man

Cris

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I forgot to include that the balancer that I purchased for this crank was from "Professional Products".
When I first purchased my lower assembly, I took it to the local speed shop/machine shop. The machinist told me that the crank didn't need to be touched. Another thing that was to my surprise is that the crank perfectly fit in the block with plenty of clearance. I’ve read many articles and spoke to several people that told me that the crank would hit the bottom of the cylinders.
BTW, I originally also purchase a set of CAT connecting rods and after speaking to the machine shop, he told me to get a set of SCAT. Putting these two rods side-by-side, you can see the quality within this 4340 SCAT rods.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Normally, it's the connecting rod bolts that necessitate clearancing at the bottom of the cylinder of a 347.....not the crank itself.

·
Registered
237 Posts
would some one tell me why in the hell they dont make the 427 SOHC anymore we have a great platform to drop it in 2005 mustang gt anyone agree?????

1 - 7 of 7 Posts