Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I’ve been reading this forum for quite a while, but never became a member until today. I’ve got a very nice ’65 Mustang that I totally restored about six years ago. At that time I didn’t have a very good job and thought I found a good deal on a crate motor from Tuff Dawg Engines. The 302 came with Pro Comp aluminum heads and ran like crap from day one. Needless to say six years later I have a car with a bad motor with 1,800 miles on it. It unloaded a hydraulic lifter and broke one of the SBC roller rockers, yes you read that right, a SBC rocker arm. SBC roller rockers are .1” shorter from the fulcrum to the roller tip than SBF rockers. This, along with the guide plates not being aligned correctly, made nice grooves in the tops of my valve stems since the rollers were not directly centered on the stem. Absolute poor workmanship.

After finding all this nice stuff after a tear down to fix the broken roller rocker, I’ve decided to build my own motor. I’ve rebuilt several ATV and motorcycle motors and have done extensive work on repairing V8’s, but it has always been just replacing factory parts. I’ve done a lot of research and am thinking of going with the Probe Industries 347 kit that has the piston pin below the oil ring. It’s a 5.315 rod and a piston compression height of 1.175. 10666-SF-F347 - Ford 347 Flat Top -4.0cc Street Fighter Engine Kit Does anyone have any experience with this setup? I’m planning on using the same block since it has already been cleaned up, the only problem is that they decked my block way down. With the Keith Black pistons that were in my motor they stuck up out of the bore .018 they then used a .050 head gasket. Those pistons have a piston compression height of 1.608.

Here’s my questions, if my calculations are correct, that gives me a crank to top of piston deck clearance of 8.198. Subtract the .018 that the piston is out of the bore, gives me a crank to engine deck of 8.180? So then if I go with the Probe 347 kit, the crank to piston deck is 8.190, leaving my pistons up out of the bore by .010? Somebody might want to double check those figures. Is it ok to have the pistons above the deck by this amount, or did the machinist remove too much? I’m planning on running AFR 185 non-emission heads with the 58 cc combustion chambers and a .051 head gasket. With the flat top -4.00cc pistons on a 4.030 bore, that should put my compression ratio at 11.08:1. I’m probably going to get a custom ground cam unless someone has a good one that will compliment this build. I’ll also use an Edelbrock Performer RPM Air-Gap intake and the carb is up in the air right now. Does this sound like a good engine for a performance street car?

You guys have quite the wealth of knowledge on your site!
Thanks,

C.J.

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Sorry I can't help with the real technicial questions you have but here's what I can share. I'm running one of CHP's (aka Probe) Pro Street 347 short blocks with the same pistons (-4cc valve reliefs) but at "0" deck I believe. I'm also running AFR185's with an Edlebrock Performer RPM and 750DP Proform carb. I believe my compression ratio is around 10.5:1.

I can tell you that I'm more than happy with the performance. In fact it was more than I expected and I expected a lot. Almost what I would call "scarry fast" but that's the fun part, right? I think you'll be happy with that combination as long as you get the right cam for your application.

Also, make sure you pick something that complements the rest of your driveline like trans type, rear gearing, etc. I usually tell people to just call the cam manufactures and ask their tech people for help. I did that and spoke with the guy at Coast High Performance (CHP)/Probe. In the end I went with CHP's advice and am glad I did.

John

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks guy! What size of stall converter did you end up using? Did you have to do any work to that C4 to make it stand up to that power? Also, what gearing do you have?

Thanks!
C.J.

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts