Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since building a new motor next year has been on my mind alot lately, I have come up with some questions.
Most of my money has been spent on my current 302 so I'm going to stay with a 302 based motor.
Based of streetability, cost, longevity and power what is the best motor to build? a supercharged 302 or a stroker motor?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My current motor is a 30 over 302 with 13 to 1 high domes, stock lower end, ported GT-40 heads, weiand stealth, 780 vac sec carb, and 1 5/8 long tubes.
I'd like to use as many pieces as possible to keep costs down.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
It depends a lot about how you'll be using the car the engine is in. 13 to 1 compression and that size carb makes me think you're building it for high rpm. If you're constantly hammering it at high revs on the strip, you'll probably at least want to get a bottom end girdle, which is relatively inexpensive. That goes for either the 347 or the blown 302. If cost is a big deal, forget about the blower, which costs a fortune. Get the 347 and just make sure its built right. From everything I've read, the old problems of the wrist pin getting into the oil ring can easily be solved if prepared correctly. Probe Industries talks about this on their website. Another question with strokers is the weird rod ratio, which in essence wants to send the piston out the sides of the block. If this is a hot little street motor you'll bring up to the higher revs on occasion, go for the 347. If it's a major strip car, you might do better building a 331 with a good bottom end girdle and ARP rod bolts, and then when you save your pennies get a blower on it.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The motor I have now is mostly driven on the street. It had 13 to 1's in it when I bought it with 351w heads. I swapped it to large chamber ported gt-40x heads this summer. So really it's more like 10.5 to 1. With the monster cam and the ported heads it breaths well past 7000rpms but I've started to lose streetable power. With a blower I'd need a piston and cam change but with a stroker kit I'd need a whole new bottom end but the top end would work fine. Most blowers for carb motors are about $2200. A stroker short block is in this range also. I say this because no one I know has built a stroker motor. But some of the kits from Flatlander are $1300. Just heard too many storys about mismatched parts for my liking. A short block just gives me a little piece of mind and a fresh block to boot. From what I've read strokers are worth 60hp and blowers are roughly 100hp. What I'm really looking for is close to 500hp and some decent torque.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts