Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a 347 stroker kit. im going to use the stock heads and an edlebrock rpm air gap intake eldebrock preformer carb. im not sure on what cam i should go after, and i want to know about how much hp? and suggestions? thanks.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I am building a 347 stroker kit. im going to use the stock heads and an edlebrock rpm air gap intake eldebrock preformer carb. im not sure on what cam i should go after, and i want to know about how much hp? and suggestions? thanks.
The stock heads will choke a 347. Need more info to determine a cam. Auto or stick and what converter if auto? Gear ratio in rear end and rear tire height. and what car is it going in.The HP of a 347 can really vary. My 347 dynoed 460Hp at 6,000 RPM with a mild cam, with your stock heads you will be nowhere close to that. Are you really set on the stock heads and if so why?

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
The stock heads will choke a 347. Are you really set on the stock heads and if so why?
Definitely agree with this. Stock unported heads are so restrictive they choke 302's lol.
On a tight budget? You will gain more with good heads and 5.0/302 than 347 with stock heads.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its an auto, and i think im going after a 1500 stall speed coverter. its a stock mercury cougar, and yes, a very tight budget. eventually i plan to but a set of good heads, but for now the stock ones were in decent condition.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
If youre on such a tight budget, maybe you should just do some minor stuff to your current engine. That way you can save your money and build your new engine the right way and only do it once.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well im building the bottom end up so it can take some decent heads, either way the motor has to be rebuilt. i block was locked up and sat for 30 years. the block and heads have already been machined, i just need to put the stroker kit in. eventually ill save up the money to put some nice heads on.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Its an auto, and i think im going after a 1500 stall speed coverter. its a stock mercury cougar, and yes, a very tight budget. eventually i plan to but a set of good heads, but for now the stock ones were in decent condition.
Well, if you do a roller cam the stock foxbody cam from the 87-93 5.0 Mustang will be great. I would just look for a running 5.0 Mustang engine and call it a day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts