Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to build a 347 for dirt track racing the car will weigh about 3,000 pounds the problem is I have to run cast iron intake, and heads. I also have to run a 2 barrel 500 cfm holley carb. How would a 347 react with 2 barrel cleveland heads and the 2 barrel cleveland intake that would have to be machined for the engine? Would there be any advantage I know there would be alot of work.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Some questions for you:

Is compression ratio restricted? If not, I'd suggest that you take a serious look at Aussie 302 2V heads if you're not restricted to American made parts (and you can afford it) I've seen lots of them for sale recently. Check Ebay.

Is only your carb restricted to 2V? Can you run a 4-hole intake? If so, I'm not sure whether there would be any benefit, flow-wise, to use an Aussie 4V cast iron intake or not. I saw one of them the other day on Ebay. The URL for it is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1810376883&r=0&t=0

Are you allowed to modify the ports in your engine? If so, I've read (though I don't have first-hand experience with this) that ported Aussie heads can support air flow up to approximately 500 hp if they're matched to the right cam/valvetrain. Unmodified, I'm not sure what they can support. Your intake is probably the real Achilles heel if you can't use the 4-hole intake. My .02.

Best wishes!

Scott

1 - 2 of 2 Posts