Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this question has been asked, but can a 347 stroker be built using a 289 block? As I recall, the 302 and 289 shared the same block, but the 302 had a longer stroke, right?

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
well the 289 block have a shorter cylinder skirt (part that extends towards the crankcase) Thus most builders prefer not to use a 289 block for stroking to 331 or 347 since the piston does not have as much support at the bottom of the stroke.
However plenty of people have done a 347 with a 289...so long as you dont plan high revs or boost, it may be fine.

·
Registered
58 Posts
uh ho, my 347 is in a 289 block. You can put the bore length thing to rest now, they are the same. Builders actually like these blocks for the strokers. I spin mine to 7K NA without a girdle FWIW.

todd

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hmm, I don't recall old wives talking out stroker motors

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 70grande on 2/13/02 8:03am ]</font>

·
Registered
672 Posts
My 347 is a 289 block. It has run good so far. The highest I've revved it is to 6500 rpm.

·
Registered
41 Posts
""That's an old wive's tale. They both have 5 1/8" long cylinders. 289 and early 302 (2pc rear seal) blocks are completely interchangable. ""

Mike is right. I've measured dozens for cylinder length and they are always around 5.100 or so 289 or 302.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replys. That'll save me some money. What I think I want to do is 347, hyper pistons, RPM heads, RPM intake, Hooker comp headers and RPM cam. Mating that with a T5Z and change my rear gears to around a 3.5 (now it's 3.00). What do you guys think of that combo. I particularly like it because I already have a few parts (intake, trans, and headers). Anything you would change???

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
On 2002-02-12 18:33, n2omike wrote:
well the 289 block have a shorter cylinder skirt
That's an old wive's tale. They both have 5 1/8" long cylinders. 289 and early 302 (2pc rear seal) blocks are completely interchangable.

Good Luck!
I should have been more clear... early 289/302 (non roller) blocks have the shorter bore skirt compared to roller 5.0L block. I have seen it and can round up a pic or measurements.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Where can I get a 347 stroker kit.What one is best for the money I want it to last.Any phone numbers for kits and prices would be appreciated.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'll guarandamntee early 289 blocks have shorter skirts. Got 3 of 'em in the shop now, you can see the diference.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Which bellhousing pattern do they have? Show us a pic with a tape measure in them. I've been in several core yards just looking because earlier I was told this and have never seen any difference so far.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'd like to know the real answer too. I've got a 289 and pulling the engine tomorrow for a rebuild. I'd stroke it if I could, but I've always been told 310CI is as big as I can go due to the skirts.
I will only be taking the car to 6000RPM max...What is the real answer???

·
Registered
672 Posts
On 2002-02-12 22:18, rod n az wrote:
My 347 is a 289 block. It has run good so far. The highest I've revved it is to 6500 rpm.
I called my uncle, he built the engine, and it is a 302.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rod n az on 2/18/02 10:11am ]</font>

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm glad some one asked about stroking a 289. I had planned to build a 408w, but changed my mine when I figured up that I was going to spend about 7-8 on the rest of the car. I'd like to stroke mine too (the engine
), but I might be looking for boost later. I'd love to see some more replies to this guy's post.

Kirk.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts