Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I'm gearing up to start the new engine build and wanted to see what you guys thought of going with a 347 and a blower vs a NA 427w. seems like the cost for doing both of these would be similar, since I have some of the stuff I would need for the 347 already. I have read on this forum that you can build these engines from OEM stuff and they hang together pretty well, but when I talk to engine builders they want to sell me an aftermarket block. I was hoping to order a stroker kit and a set of heads off the internet and assemble this myself. This is for my 69 fastback mustang and will be used almost exclusively on the street. I'm interested mostly in being able to light the tires in 3rd gear at will!!!:) Of course in my crazier moments I start thinking about a 427w stroker with a blower but I just got a quote from a local builder of 20k for that! What do you guys think?

Mike

·
Registered
10 Posts
We are building a 393w stroker for my Dads 67 fastback. We shopped around (competition products broomsheet) and scored a cast steel RPM 9000 crankshaft for $150, Probe FPS pistons for $290, and a bare set of RHS 180cc aluminium heads for $500. Started with a 97 351w roller block ($350) we should have 450/500 HP at the crank pretty cheaply. The pistons with that crank and factory rods are a 1.6 compression height (off the shelf) 302 piston with press fit pins. Overall an afordable way to build a fun street engine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We are building a 393w stroker for my Dads 67 fastback. We shopped around (competition products broomsheet) and scored a cast steel RPM 9000 crankshaft for $150, Probe FPS pistons for $290, and a bare set of RHS 180cc aluminium heads for $500. Started with a 97 351w roller block ($350) we should have 450/500 HP at the crank pretty cheaply. The pistons with that crank and factory rods are a 1.6 compression height (off the shelf) 302 piston with press fit pins. Overall an afordable way to build a fun street engine.
Wow. That seems like a fun build. I think that is how I should go. but maybe get a 408 kit. I'm going to start looking for a 351 roller block. I have been a little reluctant to build this motor myself, since I haven't done a stroker yet, but sometimes you gotta just throw caution to the wind!

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
I would think that building either one would cost nearly the same with the blower itself being the only real additional cost unless you have lots of other stuff for either one like the block, etc. When I bought my short block from CHP I could have had a Windsor based motor for a couple hundred more. My problem is space so I decided on keeping the small block engine.

If you're thinking blown anyways why not just stick with an affordable 5.0 build and add some boost. you can easily make 500-600 HP with the right combo and cheap. :tup: I'm pretty sure you can pick up a turbo system or Vortec type blower for $2-3,000, maybe cheaper.

Of course with bigger cubes you can make the same power with less boost but how about a high winding small block with the power of a big cube motor?

John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts