Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 25 or so years ago a gentlemen sold me a 351 BOSS motor. It has been sitting in the back of my shop on a stand ever sense. I had plans to put it in one of the cars I had at the time but as life goes it never happened. So now I have a motor and no real plans. I have a few questions going forward that I hope that someone can help me with. First how do I know that I do indeed have a real BOSS motor and secondly if I do how much is a complete motor worth? If anyone can help me I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Wow! that's really cool! I can't be much help on the subject, but is the block a 351W block with 351C heads, or is it a 351C thru and thru?

Do you know what it cam out of? Any photos and or numbers you can post up?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Pull the valve covers. Should have stud mounted rocker arms. Should have pushrod guide plates, Should have ford PNs on all the parts. Should have a solid lifter cam. Should have a dual point dizzy. Should have closed chamber heads. Should have domed pistons. Its a C motor if the timing chain cover is a flat steel plate. Valve covers should be finned aluminum with fingers inside to deflect oil on to the rockers. Of course most of these things could be changed, upgraded or gone aftermarket. Prob think of some other stuff. Might have something mixed with Boss 302. I have PNs for most of the specific factory parts and specs.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
wiill have aluminum intake with spread bore type carb ..
a real Boss351 will have correct ........ part number . onr part that is overlook when trying to make over a standard 351C 4V

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Look for partial VIN on block-

1971 351BOSS had 4300-D rated @ 750CFM on an alum intake.

·
Registered
578 Posts
If the engine had all the things mentioned in the posts above other than the dome pistons it could also be a 351 Ho. The low compression version of the boss engine sold in 1972! Both the Boss and HO were a "R" Code engines. If it is a true Boss 351 it had to have come from a 1971 mustang or out of a crate! The Boss engine was never installed in any other car but a Mustang sport roof! The reason for the 4300 D Carb was because the 3310 holley used on the Boss 302 couldn't pass the smog test even with an air pump!

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Look for partial VIN on block-

:confused:

Starting in 1967 for the 1968 model year, Ford began stamping partial VIN information on production engine blocks to meet the requirements of Title 49, United States Code, Subtitle VI, Part C, Chapter 331 (effective January 1, 1968).
...partial...partial...

Key word here.

The partial VIN stamping does not contain the engine code. The first character is the year and the second the assembly plant. The rest are scheduled sequence of assembly ID.

Yes, I am a MORON. But I beat SPARKY and MUMBLES (DanH) to my mistake... :)

This CRS is a B!TCH...

·
Banned
6,355 Posts

...partial...partial...

Key word here.

The partial VIN stamping does not contain the engine code. The first character is the year and the second the assembly plant. The rest are scheduled sequence of assembly ID.

Yes, I am a MORON. But I beat SPARKY and MUMBLES (DanH) to my mistake... :)

This CRS is a B!TCH...
gave me a kick name ...only reads like mumble because ...... lets say you got another thing right your a moron . but I knew that from the start

Numbers / date codes on a block or any part , I never put any value on them , that is till some ask for a code/number . will say there is a price increace

·
Registered
5,337 Posts

Did anyone hear anything just now? I got a slight surge in my Tower of Power and a slight burning odor...
Now I have a screen message to change the filter...

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
A partial VIN can often get you the color of the seats with research, or at least disqualifying info. We've done that here before. For example, if the first digit is not a 1, it can't be a BOSS. If the 3rd digit is not a 1 or 2, it also cannot be a BOSS. I'll have to verify my memory, but the 2nd digit (letter) should be F or R and nothing else. Though the engine code is not there, the numbers indicating plant, whether it's Ford, Lincoln or Mercury, what cars were built at each plant and more is there, and can be dug-into for answers. I'd still take it to see what we could dig-up.

Worst case, if the owner really wanted verification, Kevin Marti could give the bottom-line answer in a few minutes about the whole car it came in, down to the pinstripe color. Last year somebody used the partial VIN to verify a 429 BOSS that tracked to Schumacher IIRC and the exact car he ran it in with photos and everything. It sold for big bucks at auction with the history package. I'm not into that, but apparently some folks really are.

David

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Just two things on this post.

1: What are you talking about below, you sound about as clear as Mumbles does. :D

2: This is a spam post and the poster was spam.... He'd have a LOT more info on it if he actually had a Boss anything, they've NEVER been cheap and unless he has more money than Trump and don't care, which would render his original question moot pretty much...

Did anyone hear anything just now? I got a slight surge in my Tower of Power and a slight burning odor...
Now I have a screen message to change the filter...

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Just two things on this post.

1: What are you talking about below, you sound about as clear as Mumbles does. :D

2: This is a spam post and the poster was spam.... He'd have a LOT more info on it if he actually had a Boss anything, they've NEVER been cheap and unless he has more money than Trump and don't care, which would render his original question moot pretty much...
Maybe you need to situp more fully in your seat. They seem to be zinging over your head.

My bet is he realized he didn't have what he was told he bought.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.