Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm in the process of rebuilding my cleveland before the track opens. I'm going with closed chamber heads with all the goodies s/s valves, roller rockers etc. any ways I would like to know if my build sounds ok and nothing is mismatched.
10:1 compression
Torker single plane intake
4v closed chamber heads
I have got 3:89 gears in the rear
Headers
3 inch exhaust out the side
2500 stall with shift kit c6
What's a good carb for this? Vacum or mechanical secondaries. Also what cam. I have had no luck with cam quest or call the techs themselves. What do you guys think? I don't wAnna pick the wrong cam resulting in horrible performance.
I don't really care for mpg, afterall its a "muscle car" but I don't want it to be a dog on the street, I would like to eat some imports at the stop light. I would like tohave a 14 sec or faster 1/4 mile time. Is this gonna be possible or will I have to do a stroker engine or something along those lines.
BTW it's in a 72 Mach 1 mustang
Thanks a lot

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
the Edel. Torker for the street will be to much .A dual plane will work better along with a 700 cfm double pumper Holley

·
Registered
66 Posts
go with the edel air gap, it also fits the 4V heads and a good few guys have dyno tested/shown them to work as well or even better than the funnel web

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
go with the edel air gap, it also fits the 4V heads and a good few guys have dyno tested/shown them to work as well or even better than the funnel web

work as well or better than the funnel web !!! ???????-

saying something like that is very misleading
testing specs must be included along with the engine build goal.

I can say a stock 2 barrel carb and manifold is better than a Pro built tunnel ram with 2 Dominators . That would be a true fact only if total info is given .. Info for that- best MPG

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the reason why I went with the torker was the fact I have been reading that the dual plane edelbrocks run outta breathe around 5000. Doesn't the 4v heads like 5500+ rpms? I couldnt afford a blue thunder at 450.00

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Well the reason why I went with the torker was the fact I have been reading that the dual plane edelbrocks run outta breathe around 5000. Doesn't the 4v heads like 5500+ rpms? I couldnt afford a blue thunder at 450.00
Edebrock Torker can mahe power to 7800 rpm and get the 71/72 Mach's into the high 10's .

you got the rest of the package for that torker?

a stock iron 70/71 4v intake can get you the high 13's with the build you got .

·
Registered
576 Posts
Either one will work, it just depends on where you want to compromise. As I read your question I was thinking you wanted more track performance and was willing ot give up some streetability. Same for cam question, before anyone can make a suggestion, where are you willing to compromise?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ya im bracket racing this year, so ill be at the track every weekend. i want all i can performance and less streetability. i wont be towing it to the track im driving it to the track and high school, but like i said i want more of a performer than a cruiser.

·
Registered
33 Posts
With the gears and converter you stated, a dual-plane intake would be more beneficial in my opinion but not mandatory.
Lesson learned years ago, trailer the ride to the track.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
should i just invest in a performer from edelbrock? as for carburation what is not gonna be too big and whats not gonna be to small. i like the ideas of mechanical secondaries has any one used one? do they have a little better throttle response? thanks for all the feedback, just dont wanna screw something up on my build and have it not perform well.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
should i just invest in a performer from edelbrock? as for carburation what is not gonna be too big and whats not gonna be to small. i like the ideas of mechanical secondaries has any one used one? do they have a little better throttle response? thanks for all the feedback, just dont wanna screw something up on my build and have it not perform well.
again-do you read the post in your thread ? see #2 post.

how many times do you have to be told something . might sound a bit hard, but your asking and getting responce from a few that have done/been there

btw-the Edel. Performer will not out power the oem iron. will save some weight , iron might save some money

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
it is pretty amazing that people here can determine which intake you need without knowing what cam you are going to run.
not hard at all, thats only if you know what and how to work the Cleveland or engines in general.

Not a 10,000 rpm weed wacker

why don't you spec the cam and then the intake manifold

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
that would probably be a good idea. I can never get camquest to work and when i email the techs they never call or email back. is there another way to finding what cam i should run?

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
that would probably be a good idea. I can never get camquest to work and when i email the techs they never call or email back. is there another way to finding what cam i should run?
the other way is wait and see if Culcuhain comes back and spec's the cam then the intake for you .

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
looks as this hs/kid went to the 54 C site.

might have keep him if culcuhain spec the cam then the intake

·
Registered
674 Posts
The stock (unported) 4V heads flow around 246 @ .500 lift and 273 @.600 lift. The Torqer flows a bit over 250 bolted to a 4V head. Ported the Torqer flows some were around 270 or 290 been about 8 years since I flow tested and ported a torqer for a C motor.
If your not porting the heads a torqer should do. Beware to check for port alignment Sometimes a bit needs to be shaved off the sides of them to allign the ports. The front and rear china walls gaskets will not fit as the gap is often too large you must use something like permetex copper silicone.

Rocker arms make sure they ar 1.73 rockers and are FORD geometry no realy Big block chevy as this will screw up valve train geometry reducing lift and and other issues with valve tip contact.

You could run up to a .550 ish lift cam with hyd flat tapets keep the duration aroud 230 at .050 lift.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts