Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys lets start a new thread for those that want to build a hot street motor. As I said in a previous post all options are open but it must run on pump gas. lets start with the heads. We all know how good the closed chamber heads are, but not that many about. A lot of Pantera owners rave about the 2V closed chamber heads that come off Australian 302's, again not that many about.
I am sure there are a lot of guys that want to Know what the best way to go is. We could consider two options the economical one and the expensive one.

My heads are 4V open chamber but with the smaller 2V valves (1973) The heads will have full adjustable valve train. I already have the screw in studs, the guide plates and the roller rockers 1.73 HS. The machining still has to be done for the screw in studs and i plan to have the valve guides reamed and replaced with bronze guides. So you could say that at the moment the heads are pure stock.
OK where do we start?

First, is it worth carrying out any porting work on a cleveland other than basic intake and header matching.

Second, how high can we push the compression with flat tops both cast or forged.

Third what about the domed pistons what would they push open chambers to with a typical 30 over standard block.

Come on you cleveland experts what can be done? what's recommended.

Once we have done the heads we can move onto the bottom end and then the cam and then the induction options. Let's build a practical 400 plus Street cleveland. Over to you.

Vic

·
Registered
553 Posts
And while anyone is at it( you too Vic) like some more input from all of the Cleveland guys re my post...351c or 351 w...

Thanks

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tough call, I know the Windsor only from what I have read in all the old performance books from the 70's early 80's. I agree that if you have no personal preference then there is simply so much more about for a W both new and second hand. For my part, my car came with a 351C 4 bolt engine and a C6. Its a numbers matching unit with less than 30K on the clock. Other than the crap stock valves that nearly ruined my block I want to keep what I got. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
This is a copy of my post from an earlier thread, didnt get an ans3wer so I thought Id try and get an opinion one more time

My future plans for my 351c are as follows.

stock bottom end, balanced with arp hardware. approx 10.5:1 compression with aussie heads. Comp roller cam # 32-421-8 (as per the cam disk for desktop dyno)270 duration, .566 lift with a 110 lobe center. Havent decided on an intake yet, but Im leanin towards a stealth with a Holley 650. Not lookin to build some wild hotrod, but I think I'll have a strong street motor. What do you all think? any suggestions?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think you are in to a good combo, maybe a bit high compression ratio?
If I could choose, I would go for a 108 lca-cam, for a more dramatic (midrange) torque curve?

Cobra2

·
Registered
777 Posts
On 2002-05-21 13:23, Vic wrote:
First, is it worth carrying out any porting work on a cleveland other than basic intake and header matching.

Third what about the domed pistons what would they push open chambers to with a typical 30 over standard block.
First, yes it is definately worth doing some bowl work on the heads, on both the intakes and the exhaust. And on the exhuast side, they benefit greatly from a full port job. When I pocket ported the exhuast on my heads, I got 185 cfm @ .600 lift (barely touched the short turn). After the full port job (which also included some more short turn work), and I took a lot of material out of the port, I got 225 cfm.

The domed pistons with the open heads are capable of giving you WAY more compression than will run on pump gas. I used the open chamber domed piston, decked the block to .005, shaved the heads .050 to get the cc's down to 67, and after hand fitting the domes to the chambers, ended up with 13.9-1 compression (with a scarey piston to head clearance). The closed chamber domed pistons with a stock cc head, and a relatively stock deck height, will give right around 10.5-1, which I have ran successfully on 93 octane. Regardless of what you do, the chambers will need polished, the ridge around the valve seat that is in the chamber needs smoothed out flush, and it doesnt hurt to polish the tops of the piston to a high shine.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is the kind of info we all need, great.
Are the pistons for the early 4V closed chamber heads still available as an aftermarket etc. Recommendations on a supplier please (Any part No's) Ive looked up some of the porting info etc, anyone know of any articles in any past issues regarding specifically porting a cleveland head??

·
Registered
242 Posts
Luv70sFords

I would really consider a 750 carb, and you might want to look at the Xcellerator intake wieand makes, I had good luck with it on my 2bl 351c. What are the specs on your cam @ .050?

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
No specs on the cam disk for @.050, Im gonna look around see if I can find some though. The reason for the 650 was to keep torque and mileage up a lil, I dont think This cam will let the engine see the RPM's it'd need to use a 750. Will look at the accelerator intake, See what they have to say about it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
run a clevland before in dirt track, reroute oil in bottom end,(older ford performance book) has instruction, cleveland heads are the best flowing heads out of a sand mold, change rockers, (a must)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Build a "Dime a Dozen" 400M with the Cleveland heads the easy way to 600hp.The heads need more displacement to make use of the large valves and ports.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts