Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey whats up i am phil i am trying to build a nice sturdy 351c for my 1975 ranchero i want to put aftermarket economy cam, performance cylinder heads, and maybe some powerful pistons with high CR....

who makes the best of what that can be thrown together for street use..

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not everyone who has a Ranchero is fortunate enough to have the 351C engine. A better place to get advice on your build might be The ford 335 Cleveland Series Engine Forum. Ford 335 "Cleveland" Series Engine Forum
Those guys know and love their Clevelands!
right now i am running a 400 basically its a rare extinct engine but has no ups to it but low end torque

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Try a carb, intake, cam, and a set of headers on the 400 and I suspect youll think twice about putting something else in.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Budget, my friend, it's all about the budget. How much are you willing to spend on it? That will determine what direction you should go. Follow the advice above, you have a great engine, responds well to simple bolt on mods.

·
Registered
103 Posts
If you are planning to replace the 400 with a 351C, you are going to need to swap to a transmission with the small-block bellhousing to match the "C". 351M's and 400's use the big block bellhousing pattern. (Top two bolts are roughly 7 inches apart for big blocks and a little over 5 inches for small blocks-which includes the 351C.) The 400 is a good truck engine, but has such a long stroke and resultant high piston speed that it might not be the best engine for performance applications.

·
Registered
241 Posts
If you are planning to replace the 400 with a 351C, you are going to need to swap to a transmission with the small-block bellhousing to match the "C". 351M's and 400's use the big block bellhousing pattern. (Top two bolts are roughly 7 inches apart for big blocks and a little over 5 inches for small blocks-which includes the 351C.) The 400 is a good truck engine, but has such a long stroke and resultant high piston speed that it might not be the best engine for performance applications.
Also wrong, not technically speaking(stroke..etc) But its not only an good engine, but a superior starting point compared to the oh so reviered Cleveland that everyone seems to think is magical...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also wrong, not technically speaking(stroke..etc) But its not only an good engine, but a superior starting point compared to the oh so reviered Cleveland that everyone seems to think is magical...

man i am broke again! lol i just lost my job T_T so i will stick with my 400 and put mods on it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
man i am broke again! lol i just lost my job T_T so i will stick with my 400 and put mods on it.
About the only advantage the cleveland has is intake and piston selection. But if you know what machine work can be done to over come that, and where to get the intake spacers if you need them, your 400 is a better starting point. Get a cam and lifter set from summit racing, get a summit racing double roller timing set, edelbrock performer 400 intake manifold, 750 cfm carb....Youll love that thing. Its a torque beast and will motivate that ranchero nicely. DO NOT get a high pressure high volume oil pump...itll pump your oil pan dry and fry your engine...If you get a cam, get new valve springs and push rods to match the cam, just ask the sales person where ever you buy it, put new umbrella seals on the valve stems too.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
About the only advantage the cleveland has is intake and piston selection. But if you know what machine work can be done to over come that, and where to get the intake spacers if you need them, your 400 is a better starting point. Get a cam and lifter set from summit racing, get a summit racing double roller timing set, edelbrock performer 400 intake manifold, 750 cfm carb....Youll love that thing. Its a torque beast and will motivate that ranchero nicely. DO NOT get a high pressure high volume oil pump...itll pump your oil pan dry and fry your engine...If you get a cam, get new valve springs and push rods to match the cam, just ask the sales person where ever you buy it, put new umbrella seals on the valve stems too.
the 400 is a tall Cleveland .. know performance ? you would know way the C got the magic
plus a high pressure/volume pump will not pump the pan dry on a solid engine . worn out ones , are not the platform for power .

R_Rider stay with the 400 , why give up 50 cubes . you said a performance head was in the plan. save up (working again) then build a good 400

·
Registered
241 Posts
the 400 is a tall Cleveland .. know performance ? you would know way the C got the magic
plus a high pressure/volume pump will not pump the pan dry on a solid engine . worn out ones , are not the platform for power .

R_Rider stay with the 400 , why give up 50 cubes . you said a performance head was in the plan. save up (working again) then build a good 400
I don't profess to be a 400 pro, but I've read every article(in the states) written on the 400 in the last 14 years...at least everyone I've been able to get my hands on, or find on the internet.I don't remember them verbatim, but there's a lot I do..if you run a high volume pump in a stock pan, it will pump it dry or very near if you've made other modifications that allow you to run higher rpm's. Your right, stock 400, stock rpm range, no problem. But, beyond that a bigger oil. pan is necessary

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

thanks right now i got one other issue i got a leak in my ranchero T_T! its comming from around the window suspectedly i just repaired some cracks in the bed where i thought it was leaking... i used Steel Stik by jb Weld. but come to find out i got some leak running from where the board goes to block the tire space from the rest of the vehicle. i really need to remove what is left of the board where the tire goes and find this leak i am planning to drop some new carpet in it. 8296 Cinnabar color. i still have to scrapp the S* of the floor the last owner used liquid Styrofoam to seal the passenger floor pan ~,~

thank goodness i have enough steel stick to plug up the little wholes i need to wait til summer or hot spring days to remove carpet then let the old sound proofing dry then put dynomat over it.

·
Registered
241 Posts

The "magic" is the joke. I don't understand why people want to toss a 400 in favor of a 351c...its every bit as expensive to build, and more so if you want to stroke it to 400 plus cubes...that's why i say "magic" NOT because i don't understand why they make good power..

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The "magic" is the joke. I don't understand why people want to toss a 400 in favor of a 351c...its every bit as expensive to build, and more so if you want to stroke it to 400 plus cubes...that's why i say "magic" NOT because i don't understand why they make good power..

its the fact that there or really almost (NO) and i me NO parts available for the 400 its self. they all fall under 351m/400 not 400 and there is little to no modifications u can do to it externally.

·
Registered
241 Posts
its the fact that there or really almost (NO) and i me NO parts available for the 400 its self. they all fall under 351m/400 not 400 and there is little to no modifications u can do to it externally.
The 351m/400 share a block and heads, theyre exactly the same except for the rotating assembly. Externally, all you need is headers and an intake, and unless your going racing, the performer 400 is a good intake to replace the stocker and make huge torque improvements, especially when coupled with a mild cam. If you want, i have some really Hogged out stock manifolds you can have, might flow a little better than the stockers, but i dont know, it was an experiment i never got to test. What external mods would you like to do?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The 351m/400 share a block and heads, theyre exactly the same except for the rotating assembly. Externally, all you need is headers and an intake, and unless your going racing, the performer 400 is a good intake to replace the stocker and make huge torque improvements, especially when coupled with a mild cam. If you want, i have some really Hogged out stock manifolds you can have, might flow a little better than the stockers, but i dont know, it was an experiment i never got to test. What external mods would you like to do?

i will be using it for mainly hauling a small camper and what not nothing super extreme or extensive.

·
Registered
241 Posts
i will be using it for mainly hauling a small camper and what not nothing super extreme or extensive.
Do you just want a parts list? Or are you trying to figure this out on your own? I can help you if your more direct, but I really dont have time to guess what it is your after. The 400 is a solid platform though, so you have a good starting point.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts