Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Do you just want a parts list? Or are you trying to figure this out on your own? I can help you if your more direct, but I really dont have time to guess what it is your after. The 400 is a solid platform though, so you have a good starting point.

yes i just realized that my engine is perfectly fine by its standards it preforms as if the engine has been rebuilt before but the guage just indicates high mileage

if anything i would need to swap the cylinder heads, push rods, tappets and intake manifold. those are my key factors

as far as the small stuff i just ordered the OEM carpet today and i plan to rebuild the carburetor( 4bbl) btw

I also am going to swap my stock mufflers which sound like there pretty much brand new and look new from the outside to Flow masters 40 series mufflers. As for the exhaust manifolds (they are basically in swappable) there the cast iron heads. no point in swapping them if i cannot find a OEM fit in my state that will juice up my exhaust system to much. In my state is states specifically i am not allowed to "modify exhaust system to sound louder then stock exhaust" meaning i cannot have a super loud roaring engine to the point that it effects others. but what it does not state anything about having preformance. all flowmasters are legal in all 50 states.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Your in washington right? There are no inspections to contend with. Flowmasters will be fine noise wise. Your not going to get questioned unless your hotrodding around like a Jackass all the time. If you intend to change your tappets, you HAVE to change your cam too. New lifters on an old cam is a recipe for disaster. Its been done, ive done it, but cant recomend it. basicly 100 bucks from summitracing for a cam and lifter set...add in their cheap o double roller timing set while your at it, you wont regret it. If you want headers and can afford them, get them, the noise police wont notice the difference between flowmasters on manifolds, or flowmasters on headers. Laws are what they are, but your truck is OLD and they generally DO NOT mess with old ass rigs unless your,again, beign a jackass at which point it doesnt matter what your driving. Are you new to washington, or new to old rigs? Considering the age of your vehicle, i dont think you even have to do emissions testing, even in King county. As far as the condition of the engine. Do a compression test. Look for similar numbers from all the cylinders, They dont have to be sky high to indicate a solid engine, just even. If your going for better heads, edelbrock is the most affordable(I think), and has the smallest combustion chamer for a bump in compression. Aussie heads are OK, but the port design on a new head is much smoother and will bennefit your engine much more than 4V head would. I can help you with specific parts selections if you like, theres A LOT to sift through if your new to this.
yes i just realized that my engine is perfectly fine by its standards it preforms as if the engine has been rebuilt before but the guage just indicates high mileage

if anything i would need to swap the cylinder heads, push rods, tappets and intake manifold. those are my key factors

as far as the small stuff i just ordered the OEM carpet today and i plan to rebuild the carburetor( 4bbl) btw

I also am going to swap my stock mufflers which sound like there pretty much brand new and look new from the outside to Flow masters 40 series mufflers. As for the exhaust manifolds (they are basically in swappable) there the cast iron heads. no point in swapping them if i cannot find a OEM fit in my state that will juice up my exhaust system to much. In my state is states specifically i am not allowed to "modify exhaust system to sound louder then stock exhaust" meaning i cannot have a super loud roaring engine to the point that it effects others. but what it does not state anything about having preformance. all flowmasters are legal in all 50 states.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Your in washington right? There are no inspections to contend with. Flowmasters will be fine noise wise. Your not going to get questioned unless your hotrodding around like a Jackass all the time. If you intend to change your tappets, you HAVE to change your cam too. New lifters on an old cam is a recipe for disaster. Its been done, ive done it, but cant recommend it. basicly 100 bucks from summit racing for a cam and lifter set...add in their cheap o double roller timing set while your at it, you wont regret it. If you want headers and can afford them, get them, the noise police wont notice the difference between flowmasters on manifolds, or flowmasters on headers. Laws are what they are, but your truck is OLD and they generally DO NOT mess with old ass rigs unless your,again, being a jackass at which point it doesnt matter what your driving. Are you new to Washington, or new to old rigs? Considering the age of your vehicle, i dont think you even have to do emissions testing, even in King county. As far as the condition of the engine. Do a compression test. Look for similar numbers from all the cylinders, They dont have to be sky high to indicate a solid engine, just even. If your going for better heads, edelbrock is the most affordable(I think), and has the smallest combustion chamber for a bump in compression. Aussie heads are OK, but the port design on a new head is much smoother and will benefit your engine much more than 4V head would. I can help you with specific parts selections if you like, theres A LOT to sift through if your new to this.

i am not a hot roder i just like to release the horses when i use to get off work at 1am in the morning lol when i had the car checked out when i got it they said the compression ratio is in the proper ranges.... and the engine seems to be stable i should go back and do a compression test of my own to be sure.

Unleashing the power every now and then is good helps get rid of some of the bad carbon and break in old parts that have not went to a certain speeds in years. my transmission is brand new though i am sure cause it shifts like a CHAMPION performance transmission. It may also be a shift kit in my vehicle too not sure but when going first to second it has a little pause time then it boots in to next gear. If anything i think its solid just little stuff that bothers me like the cylinders are old sometimes i can here them slide but then again i am not burning oil only time i burn oil a bit is at start up which is why i am replacing cylinder heads. there worn out. possibly not seating too good. i try to keep the rpm low at start up so i wont burn any oil. around 1500 rpm something like that. my choke just started working properly which is a indication i need a carb rebuild. btw word of advice (NEVER POUR SEAFOAM DOWN CARB) it will SUCK UP ALL YOUR GAS! xD i burned almost 2/3 of a half a tank before a oil change seafoaming lol. thats how i found out my carb needs to be rebuilt because my start up time improved. also i only buy vehicles below 87 because i don't like emission test even though i always pass its like going for a aids test you start regretting and reflecting everything you did in the past few months T_T lol

21 - 23 of 23 Posts