Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm a ford guy who's stuck with a fourth generation camaro. I have already put lots of money and time into it besides just the engine but am finally fed up with it. By selling it I will be losing lots of money so I am interested in doing a ford swap to put a 351 into it. The transmission is also ready to be junked so I would like to put a ford tranny into it as well. Also Ive seen lots of fords with chevy engines put in and would like to rub it in the face of chevy guys.

However I am not sure what model and year to take the engine from so that all the mounts would line up close or be in a good place to make new ones on the camaro. Also if there would be a better fitting ford engine for the camaro, I'm up for suggestions.

Please no bashing of any kind, just information or friendly suggestions.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I LOVE the idea, dude. I get so sick of Mustangs at the track with Chevy 350. I've always said someday I'd build a 460 powered Corvette! Ha ha

Wish I could help you with the info you need. I don't think that there is any difference in the model/year in relation to the engine. Any difference would be in the motor mounts themselves, and it would be best to replace them with new anyways if your budget allows (mine doesn't :( )

Best of luck to you!

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Why waste the time and money. Sell it and buy a Mustang!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I love it! That is friggen awesome! Like others have said i've had it up to my eyeballs with people who desecrate ford chassis's with general maintenance engines! The only difference in the windsor engines is performance. Certain years perform better than others. Not sure on that breakdown but others on here do know so its only a matter of time before they chime in. Are you gonna run carb or fuelie?

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I have seen a '93 with a 460 and a C6. Was not an easy fit but it worked. Some floor surgery was required for the big C6, IIRC. It was kind of ******* engineered but I thought it was cool.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
You might be able to get away with using the motor mounts from a 70's intermediate car. Just for laughs I measured the mounts on my 400 against my buddies little brothers 350 (both motors were on stands). The 350 was destined for a 2nd gen camaro and the 400 for my Ranchero. I was rather shocked to find that the mounting points and width of the motor mounts were nearly identical (the ford mounts were slightly wider than the chevy ones). At that point I reasoned a ford in a chevy swap would be doable so long as one used a rear sump truck pan and the intermediate car mounts.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Borg Warner Automatic Transmission.
In 1972, AMC switched to the Chrysler Tourqueflight Transmission.
I had one with a 390 ford motor, was strong. A mixture of ford general motors and crysler

·
Registered
718 Posts
i was gonna buy a friends 70.5 RS for a few hundred bucks and put a 460 , toploader speed and 9" in it. it was white with black interior. i got toooooo many projects but i would have loved to have done it and taken it to chebby shows. i know a few goons that are ford men and volunteered to be my bodyguards !

·
Registered
106 Posts
I had one with a 390 ford motor, was strong. A mixture of ford general motors and crysler
Tell me about it....always broke too. It should be quite amazing how little i spend to get my ranger to the track!

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
B/W trans is not a big 3 , those trans came in many brands .. just like the T5 .

Ford 390 in a AMC , if you had one it was installed by the owner , not factory . AMC had their own engines. . 290 , 343 ,360 , 390 , 401.. all were based on the same design

·
Registered
106 Posts
then you know their 390 would smoke any Ford 390 . AMX 390 in Super Stock was the car to try to beat for years
Maybe heard that somewhere but my boss at the time assembled the engine and trans components and I did body parts.....was in tech school at the time and the owner of the car brought it too him in pieces and said can u please put this together? I know or think I remember it having a front mounted distributer like a ford.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Maybe heard that somewhere but my boss at the time assembled the engine and trans components and I did body parts.....was in tech school at the time and the owner of the car brought it too him in pieces and said can u please put this together? I know or think I remember it having a front mounted distributer like a ford.
BB Mopars got a front mounted dist. also , plus a few GM engines

·
Registered
718 Posts
swapping a 390 ford in the amc would cost a few dollars. custom engine mounts, exhaust , ford trans or trans adapter and thats just to get started. would also be impractical. the amx with the 390 was a 390 ford killer.

·
Registered
106 Posts
BB Mopars got a front mounted dist. also , plus a few GM engines
Ya...my stepsons mopar has a front mounted distributer also...never seen one on a chevy but maybe heard of one....all I remember is my old boss told me is the motor was a 390 and I saw the front mounted distributer and always had heard those cars utilized designs or parts from the big 3 so I figured it was a ford.....that was awhile ago....man how time flies!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts