Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a 351 CJ in my 68 Fairlane and was wondering if anybody had any good suggestions for a carburetor for it. I had a Dual pump Holley on it but it would randomly flood out on me so to get me by I stuck a 77 motorcraft spread bore on it to hold me over.

Motor is freshly rebuilt just over the break in miles and has a cam with a fair duration to it. We built it right on the edge of needing a stall in case we couldn't put the 4speed in it. I think something with 600 cfm will give me enough hp but I'm not sure if I should go 750. I don't need a crap ton of power but when i step on the gas I want it to go.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya I had a 750 holley square bore on it but it started flooding out. The motor is a 30 over 351 4 bolt main with 4v heads and factory cast iron square bore intake. The cam is pretty mild but you can hear the duration on it. I'm thinking myself that I should just go with a 600 square bore and just put the adapter plate back on it.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Those 351 4bbl heads really like to breathe with those enormous ports and valves. What gears do you have in the rear? Are you running a stall converter if auto? Is the car for street only or or track too? These all play into it, but jetting will probably be your biggest factor.

I had a '71 Torino convertible with the 351 4bbl heads. Performer manifold, mild Isky cam, Holley 650dp, supertrapps, kitted C4 and 4.11 9" with 31 spline axles. It tended to flat spot a at part throttle, but when the rpms came up, it was a freaking rocket. I needed a 3500 stall converter.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
3.25 gears in the rear. Right now I have a 3 speed od trans in it but I finally found a top loader 4 speed to put in it this weekend. It's going to be mostly to play on the street but I'm going to take it to the local track and see how well it holds up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.