Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
I always think of header availability first. It's no fun custom building 351C headers for an early Mustang or Falcon chassis.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Oh no, damn fast and furious..Nissan.

·
Registered
1 Posts
No other W head stock or otherwise will out flow a stock C head? Lets not get carried away. The available and soon to come aftermarket inline valve W heads will kill a stock C motor head any day. Remember that peak flow is not the only determing factor of the power making capabilties of a cyl head....this has been pointed out many times on this forum. Also dont forget the lame dog leg exhaust on the C motor head that required being cut off and exhaust port plates used to raise and straighten it.(the common practice started in the 70's by Pro Stock Ford racers). To say the stock C motor will kill a stock W motor is no great revelation. Ford never developed the W for racing or performance as the Boss cyl head(351C 4V quench chamber) was Fords answer to the small block chevy in 69(1969 was the 1st appearance of the Boss 302/351 cyl head). In some respects it still is when you look at the Ford nascar engine...in many ways it is the C motor in its most modern developed state. In the end the canted valve layout seems to be the better power maker over the inline valve layout for all out racing...although this will probably be debated by many from boths sides. It just depends on what you are trying to build. For all out high rpm racing the C motor is very capable and it should be as it was designed for it. But for a strong midrange torque street motor in the 3000-6000 rpm range a W motor with the "right" aftermarket head will waste the 351C 4V and its way to large intake ports. This is why the 351C 4V motor was only around for 4 years, it was a terrible low rpm engine(idle-5000 rpm) for moving big ford cars around and also why it was never installed in pickups.
you are wrong about the 351c, i ran one 4 years and slaughter many of a 351w and chevy motors, etc on the street. you must have never owned one or one running right. flow numbers have alot to do with potiential of making power and compare some numbers. to get a 351w aftermarket head to outflow the stock 351c, you have to spend over 2000 easy to do so. simple to me, if i owned a 351c and it came in the car, then no way it would get a 351w, but if i didnt own a 351c and depending on the car, i also like the 351w. but dream on all you want, the 351c was one hell of an engine. by the way, ford stop making it, not because it was an useless street engine, but because of oil embargo regulations etc, of that time period, cars and engines were changing. remember i have 2 words for all the 351c doubters, boss 351, baddest small block of the musclecar era period.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The 351W has the most aftermarket performance parts available. Therefore, the rational thing is if you want to build an engine with the most parts available for slightly less cost, go with the 351W. By the way, I have a 351C Im building for my '71 Torino. I decided to go the non-rational route. I think the 351C is a great engine with tons of easy potential power. Besides, not everyone is running one!
Hey buddy I’m right with u on that one I have a 1970 Torino gt I’m building a 351C that came in the car factory

41 - 44 of 44 Posts