Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am buying a stock 351 Cleveland, 2v heads where someone has installed a four barrel Holley carb and an aluminum intake. It has factory headers. I would like to increase the horse power and find out how to modify it for the oiling problem that these engines are known for, and do all the work before I install this engine. What do you suggest? Cam? If so, specificly what cam and what are the specs that would work best for everyday street and weekend strip driving? Is the stock cam good for this or is it a good idea to replace it? Open to any and all ideas. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
The oiling problems are if you plan on spinning 7+k. I dont think you need one for a weekend strip. I would go with a comp 280H that sould be somewere in the ballpark for what you want. If you go and run this on the strip or street for that matter replace the valves they are junk and are know for comming apart and killing the motor. also the springs for the new cam

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Agreeing with machwone. You don't need any oil mods unless you go solid cam and rev it over 6500rpm+. Hydralic cam engines shouldn't get any oil restricting mods.

Most aftermarket cams are better than stock, although clevelands like duel pattern profiles.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The oiling problems are if you plan on spinning 7+k. I dont think you need one for a weekend strip. I would go with a comp 280H that sould be somewere in the ballpark for what you want. If you go and run this on the strip or street for that matter replace the valves they are junk and are know for comming apart and killing the motor. also the springs for the new cam
O.K. This is exactly the information I needed. Thank you.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agreeing with machwone. You don't need any oil mods unless you go solid cam and rev it over 6500rpm+. Hydralic cam engines shouldn't get any oil restricting mods.

Most aftermarket cams are better than stock, although clevelands like duel pattern profiles.
Great information! Thank you very much. These forums are such an excellent means of obtaining information.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts