Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a 351 Cleveland, stock bottom end with ARP hardware, open chamber 4V heads. I'm aiming to get pistons to achieve 11 to 1 comp ratio. I want to choose an aggressive hydraulic roller cam and combine it with a suitable induction combination. This is a car that I intend to race, as a well as use as a daily driver. I am seeking to maximize all out performance while maintaining steerable manners that will allow me to drive the car to school everyday. But that being said, I want a cam that will have a healthy amount of chop at idle as well as give me the best possible ETs. I know my 4V heads will be making power higher up in the rpm range and my goal for this motor is to combine cam and intake choice to make power down low as well. I want to rev to the motor high, I want to make horsepower, but I don't want it to be a dog right off idle like so many people claim 4V Clevelands are. This is the first engine I'm building so I'm looking for advice on intake and cam choice. Oh also I know I might need at low rise, dual plane intake for making power down low, part of me wants a high rise manifold that's gonna stick through the hood a little bit. If that would be at all possible while mainlining power down low, I'm all for it. Also, the car has a stock converter automatic right now, but I'll be converting to manual as well and the car will have 3.73 gears put in it. I'd love to hear people's experience with high performance Cleveland builds.

·
Subscriber
609 Posts
this post makes me smile. love the enthusiasm.
every engine choice is a compromise. race cars make terrible street cars, and vice versa.
you'll be spending way more time on the street, so my recommendation would be to shift your focus in that direction.
a mildly warmed-up motor will be great on the street, and you can still get the wind in your hair on the track once in a while.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'd love to hear people's experience with high performance Cleveland builds.
i been into the "351" stuff since the early 80's, some things i learned, one bit of advise is don't get involved/suckered into any "intake gasket port matching" BS, doing this will F up intakes and heads all in one shot, a min 1/8" anti reversion step/miss match all around the int port is a good thing to have. Don't over cam a street/strip eng, you will end up hating too "aggressive" cam & valve train packages in daily drivers. Stick is good but Auto trans is great too with a 10" stall MIN (3000rpm to 3500rpm) MAX! on any daily driver, 370 to 411 rear gears are good with 26" to 28" tall tires on daily drivers also.

a good vid clip of 1970 351c 4V, [email protected] & [email protected] with just a intake & cam change ...

^^^ eng is simular to what one of my first clev street eng's was back in early 80's, just with raised 2V weiand accelerator intake with 1/8" spacer/adapter on 4V heads. The edel >rpm air gap intake< would be a better intake to use today & can be tweaked for a bit better upper rpm power.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts