Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this is what is going on, I am rebuilding a 351 cleveland, I have a four bolt main block from a '72, I have pistons from a '72 with a dish in them and I am putting forged flat top pistons in with the stock (apparently '70) 4v closed heads which will hopefully result in a compression ratio of 10.5:1. I have a Edelbrock Torker intake manifold. My engine rebuild shop recommends a camshaft made by Magnum part number 32-224-4 with valve lift of in.-.519 ex.-.519. With the current configuration what would be the best cam for the combination?

I am going to use this for a daily driver car and I'm wondering what is the best way to get a good combination of power and gas milage? I do not mind having to use premium gas if it will help.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
You either have good power or good gas milage...not both. FYI...that cam that was suggested is small for a 351c with that kind of compression. Ford engines seem to like a duel profile cam spec. With 10.5:1 compression, premium fuel is already a must.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Get rid of the Torker -- great intake but not going to help mileage
Run the Edelbrock Performer or the older model dual plane from Edelbrock

Intake duration around 224-228 @ 0.050", 0.520-0.550" lift
Exh duration around 230 @ 0.050", same lift

Roller rocker conversion is a must

Decent headers

You should easily make 350-375 HP with the basics plus you'll get the mileage.

Now if you post "how do I make more than 500HP from my 351C" we can answer that thread :)

·
Registered
831 Posts
With those heads and flat tops, you'll be closer to 11.0:1 CR, especially if you've shaved the heads and/or block.. Cam selection is key with these motors.. The higher CR will help it not be so lazy at lower rpms... But when you lean on it, watch out bowtie!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts