Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

351 Cleveland rods

6K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  kid vishus 
#1 ·
What kind of RPM can stock 351 Cleveland rods withstand? I'm sure some good rod bolts would be in order. The reason I ask, is because I'm planning on building an 11 second Cleveland for my 69 mach 1, but I'm a quite new to Clevelands. Anyway, a few months back I saw this car ripping off 11.8's at the Ford Fever Clasic in Woodburn Oregon. Doesn't look too fancy to me, but from looking at the tach, it appears that he was spinning it pretty high.

I did talk to the driver (he happened to win the stick shift class that day) but I didn't get to ask him much about his car. He said that he normally runs 11.60's though.

It seems to me that there was a post on here a while back about some ARP rod bolts failing at high RPM on a Cleveland powered mustang. I'll be damned if I can remember who posted it, or the part number of the bolts that failed.

See less See more
#2 ·
I've heard great things about race prepped 351c rods, but I bought a set of eagle esp rods and i will sleep knowing that for a little extra money I will be building this engine only once and ill never throw a rod. that being said...... I hear that there is a guy on the internet named dave doddek -sp- and his twin turbo pantera has stock rods that have been race prepped with arp rod bolts. kinda scary-

#3 ·
Stock Cleveland rods in good condition with ARP bolts are generally considered safe for continuous use up to 7000 RPM and short-term use at 7500 RPM. I know a couple of drag racers who have had no problems with short blasts to 8000 RPM.

#5 ·
If you polish and shot peen them with a set of ARP's and a resize they will live ok at 7and a bit with about 500hp.

An 11 sec combo like you got in mind would be fine with this prep.

With the avaiability of the eagle h beams nowadays its prolly cheap insurance to go with them if you got the spare cash if not invest it elsewhere

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Clevo71 on 12/10/06 5:37am ]</font>

#6 ·
I ran high 9's with stock rods that were polished, shot peened, and had ARP bolts. I also spun them 7500 each gear change (bounced it off the limiter at 8k more than a couple of times too), and went thru the lights at 7500 rpm. No problems.

They are extremely tough for a stock rod.

#8 ·
Sounds like stock rods will work fine for my build.

On 2006-12-09 14:48, kid vishus wrote:
Durham?

Da*n dude, we're neighbours (I live in Orange County and work in Durham.)
It looks like we are neighbors. I've been living in Durham for a couple months now. If I end up staying around here, I'll probably move to Hillsborough. Somebody already broke into one of my vehicles and stole the cd player here in Durham. I was thinking it would have been much more likely to get stolen in Phoenix than here in Durham.

Anyway, if you want to drink a couple beers and talk about cars sometime, just let me know.

#9 ·
My buddy is going 10.90s in a street drivin mustang 351c and a 7400rpm chip. ARP bolt and a stock bottom end and no power adders. Its all in the cam heads and intake!! Been beating it for five years now and has no problems. Building a 393c this winter and going to go 9s in a street car on pump gas next summer.

#10 ·
On 2006-12-09 15:15, Cain wrote:
If I end up staying around here, I'll probably move to Hillsborough.
We have a Hillsborough address, but live just south of town on 7 acres. We really like Hillsborough, and other than me driving to Durham for work, we rarely ever go there. We really dislike Durham and try not to go there for any "pleasure" activities. Everything we need can be found in Hillsborough, Mebane, or Burlington. Once and awhile we will go to Chapel Hill, but we NEVER go to Raleigh.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.