Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
yes you can.

What do you need? Gaskets...

I don't know if you need 351 gaskets or 302 gaskets, but my guess is 351 gaskets...

That makes it a boss 302 my coinsidence don't it?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I have no clue about that but the cam only determines firing order when switched from 351 to 302...

FE

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
ooooh that's right... The Boss 302 was a 302 with Cleveland heads on it wasn't it?

·
Registered
279 Posts
On 2006-10-25 09:56, 64 TBOLT wrote:

no need to change cams.use the 351 pushrods
you can't use a 351 pushrod with a 302, the deck height of a 351 is taller, and would make the pushrods too long. use the 302 pushrods, because the heads are essentially the same, just the bolt holes are bigger. i think you'd be a lot better off just buying the "shouldered" studs. i thnk it would be cheaper, and a whole lot easier. plus, if you ever decide to upgrade to some better heads that are designed for a 302, you won't have to deal with buying bottlenecks studs, to go back the other way, just hang on to your old head bolts...
one question i have is about the head dowels, since the head bolt holes are bigger, does this make the dowels bigger? i cant remember, if there is a difference... after doing some research i found that the head gaskets are the same, which tells me the dowels are the same size, whether your rebuilding or freshening the engine, or just doing a head swap, buy either a full set or head set for the 302, so you get the right intake end gaskets, some sets come with the end gaskets for both, but just telling you so you get the right stuff....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: sevenlitrestang on 10/27/06 8:08pm ]</font>

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
you can't use a 351 pushrod with a 302

then why did ihave to put washers under the adjusting nut to stop it from ticking.Cause the 302 pushrods were to short

·
Registered
279 Posts
On 2006-10-27 06:32, 64 TBOLT wrote:
you can't use a 351 pushrod with a 302

then why did ihave to put washers under the adjusting nut to stop it from ticking.Cause the 302 pushrods were to short
you probably have the heads from 2 different era's then(i.e. stud mount heads with pedestal mount pushrods) in this case, yes, the pedestal mounts pushrods would be the wrong length for the application, but a 351 pushrod will be too long, as a 351 is somewhere around an inch taller, and i can't see an inch of lash beind taken out with a lifter..... but if you were to get a set of pushrods for the same era 302 that the heads are from, then you wouldn't have to "shim" the rockers.... the problem is that the point at which the pushrod makes contact with the rocker are 2 different heights between the stud and pedestal mount valvetrains......

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
you probably have the heads from 2 different era's

i guess i did cause the 302 was a 69 and the heads were 73's.I did the swap back in 82 and didnt know much about swap

·
Registered
279 Posts
On 2006-10-28 18:42, 64 TBOLT wrote:
you probably have the heads from 2 different era's

i guess i did cause the 302 was a 69 and the heads were 73's.I did the swap back in 82 and didnt know much about swap
well, if you can remember, did you use 351 pushrods? this ain't a battle of the wits, i was just taking what i know and applying it to help someone.....geeez

84 gt 460, 4 speed, all kinds of crazy sh!t, 5-lug, 4 wheel discs

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: sevenlitrestang on 10/29/06 11:22am ]</font>

·
Registered
578 Posts
Re: age of conan gold

The proper way to make this swap is to pull the stock rocker studs and tap the bosses for screw in studs . A 1969 engine had ajustable press in studs , the 73 have a positive stop sholdered stud that has to have just the right push rod length to work . remember that any change like a thinner head gasket , plaining the head or a new cam will change the lifter setting . 351 push rod are over 1 inch longer and will not work in a 302 . You can just ap washers to the head boltsto in stall 351 heads on a 302 block the dowles are the same size.

·
Registered
165 Posts

they bolt right on. You should port them to fel pro 1250 gasket with 1.94/1.60 valves. Then you will have some serious power. Possibly 50-60 more horse.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts

351 heads are no better than the 302 head. Not to mention the chambers will be bigger and you will lose compression. Unless there has been extensive work done to these heads it isnt worth the time or money to do this

·
Registered
659 Posts
The 69-73 351w heads are the ones you are thinking of.
They have larger intake valves and intake port area.

Been there done that. Although the 351w heads C9's and dooe's will get you 30-40 more hp on the little 302 they need work.
Exh. seats are not hardened. They need to be machined to take studs.

Just as good if not better bet are the Gt-40 or GT-40p heads.
They require no machine work and are a bolt on Hp improvement.
They also will get your 302 30-40 more hp.

In any head swap or modification you need to check your push rod length.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts