Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Consider to buy a 63 Sportscoupe, looks good but the 221 doesn't appeal to me.
How much trouble to get a 351 (Windsor that is) down in that tight engine compartment?
Anyone done it without a lot of chopping?

Thanks for comments

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just put a 302 in my 63 sport coupe. the only problem I had was aftermarket headers. I used a set of Hedman shorties. had to cut a little tower metal at the lower corners by the 'A' arms. I also had to have one of the tubes cut off and re-routed upward on the passenger side. the windsor wouldn't be much different in size but you may want to think about your exhaust ahead of time. factory "k" style headers might be a better option.

·
Registered
977 Posts
You will need to cut the shock towers. Use Crite's Restorations kit. He also sells a set of 1 3/4" headers for this application.
See earlier posts on this forum for pictures of the shock tower mods.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Crites says you dont need to cut the towers for the 351, that their headers will work with the 351,without cutting the towers and that it will clear the hood

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys.
I'll check with Crites. Would save me a lot of time if I can avoid the shock-tower mods, even though it would probably look better and allow changing spark plugs now and then.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Hey Tom, is this the same Tubular Automotive that was around in the '70s? They used to be located in MA, only a few miles from where I live. When I was looking for headers for my Torino I couldn't find a web site or any info on them. Used to make great headers.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Thanks for the correction on the shock tower chop. I'd hate for him to chop them when he doesn't need to. Those headers must be tightly bent: my engine bay looked pretty crowded with the 289 and stock manifolds.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
On 2002-05-29 19:24, brianfulwood wrote:
Thanks for the correction on the shock tower chop. I'd hate for him to chop them when he doesn't need to. Those headers must be tightly bent: my engine bay looked pretty crowded with the 289 and stock manifolds.
I was thinking that maybe some guys were using headers that were not really meant for the swap and maybe those headers would need the towers trimmed?

I have had really good luck with the Tubular Headers fittment.

Mikey 545 uses the Tubular headers on his Stang and JustJim uses them on his 351-W 62 Falcon.

So in closing I'm not doubting that those guys had to cut the towers for some clearance like you said but,Im saying that with good swap headers from Tubular they will clear.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Anyone happen to have fax or E-mail address to Tubular Automotive?
Being from Sweden without linguistic talents makes it easier to write than talk...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Robert

I don't think Tubular has hit the 1980's yet and certainly not the 90's or 00's ...no website or e-mail address i know of.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts