Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just gettin gready to do a mild build on my 72 Mustang 3514v when I decided to do a compression test. The compression in #5 & 6 was 65/80. The car runs fine so I was surprised. I am in a quandry as to what to do. My mechanic (a long time 351 guy) seems to think it's head related. I'm a newbie so I don't know. He quoted me $3500 for a upper rebuild, and $5,500 for a total rebuild. I just bought this car 2 mos. ago. I know more info. is needed, but what are my options? What should I do first? I have extensively researched here to try to better understand this motor. I found a set of built 4v Boss heads if needed. Would these bolt right up? Should I consider rebuilding the whole thing or just what is needed? Perhaps look for a rebuilt engine? I could really use advice my wife wants to kill me!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

·
Registered
576 Posts
Do a quicky pressure test on it...Pull the plugs and apply air pressure to each plug hole. Listen for air leaking at the carb or out of the exaust means head work. Air leaking out of the oil filler cap means rings.

How many miles to the motor have on it? Building up a tired motor never really has a happy ending. I know you didn't want to hear that, sorry....

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I was just gettin gready to do a mild build on my 72 Mustang 3514v when I decided to do a compression test. The compression in #5 & 6 was 65/80. The car runs fine so I was surprised. I am in a quandry as to what to do. My mechanic (a long time 351 guy) seems to think it's head related. I'm a newbie so I don't know. He quoted me $3500 for a upper rebuild, and $5,500 for a total rebuild. I just bought this car 2 mos. ago. I know more info. is needed, but what are my options? What should I do first? I have extensively researched here to try to better understand this motor. I found a set of built 4v Boss heads if needed. Would these bolt right up? Should I consider rebuilding the whole thing or just what is needed? Perhaps look for a rebuilt engine? I could really use advice my wife wants to kill me!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
To much money, Hell with 3500 bux I could do a pretty decent street build and be reliable. Am uncertain of the 351 4v, is it the clev or windsor variety? (does make a bit of difference as to which way to go)

Here we go with terminology again, the heads you mention :" I found a set of built 4v Boss heads if needed." Are we talking the actual 351 c 4v Boss head? or the late model "so called" Boss head? (windsor style head) Anything other than a true 302/429 BOSS OR the '71-'73 351C BOSS is an actual BOSS head irregardless of what the motorsports division CALLS them. To me the latest "Boss" Mustang IS NOT a Boss Mustang , ie it doesnt have a canted valve layout of the orig... Just my 2 cents....

Yeah 5500 is NEW everything, balanced decked the whole smear...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do a quicky pressure test on it...Pull the plugs and apply air pressure to each plug hole. Listen for air leaking at the carb or out of the exaust means head work. Air leaking out of the oil filler cap means rings.

How many miles to the motor have on it? Building up a tired motor never really has a happy ending. I know you didn't want to hear that, sorry....
The odometer reads 111,500, but the motor is a 71 & the car is a 72. So I'm not quite sure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts