Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gathering information for a possible 408 build and was curious what type pan you guys who drag race with the early front sump oil pans were using?
Also are you using a std or HV pump,and did you use a stock pump driveshaft or aftermarket?
This will be a stock block,hydraulic roller, 6500 max rpm deal. I honestly would like to use a stock type 5 qt pan but I am not sure if that will be adequate.
Would like to hear your opinions and experiences....

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would email or call Alex at MoneyMaker Racing. I have gotten all my racing parts from him over the last several years. A real Ford guy that knows what works and what doesnt. I just ordered a pan and pump from him for a race engine i am building. I got the Melling Select Blueprint 10688 HV pump and an 8 quart Milodon pan. As it was expained to me anytime you can increase oil capasity it is a good thing.

[email protected]
Alex P. Denysenko

Moneymaker Racing LLC
6646 1/2 W. Johnson Rd
La Porte IN 46350
(219) 861-1214

Fax
(219) 871-0755
www.moneymakerracing.net

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
I use a Canton 7 quart which is stock height, but has the T shaped kickouts. It also has baffles inside. Good fit for a Mustang without a rack and pinion. It fits great without any mods to the car--I even install the engine with the tranny attached and the pan nests just fine. I also use the Canton pickup make for the pan.

I use a high volume Mellon Select pump because I prefer one above 6500rpms. Just my choice though as a good stock volume Mellon Select would probably be fine.

Look closely at the stock pan and you will see where I had to hammer on the stock pan to get sufficient clearance for the 393 stroker crank:

It worked just fine like that but I wanted the added security of the extra volume.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
I'm running a stock sized chrome pan with a standard volume Melling oil pump and most importantly, a hardened oil pump shaft(Arp I think). Engine has a scraper and windage tray. I built my own baffle and welded it into the pan. I run royal purple 20w50 racing oil. It has, I believe, an adequate level of zddp in it or according to royal purple it does. My engine stays about as clean as the day I put it together. I run a solid flat tappet cam and the engine is set up a bit loose on the bearings. 15 psi idle to 50 at wide open hot oil pressure. It has run fine this way for years.

I don't run a stroker. I'm not sure how much that has to do with how you design your oiling system but I suppose it might. My crank is chamfered and the heads have also been worked to improve drain back. If I were running a hydraulic cam I might go to a larger capacity pan with a high volume oil pump.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Dennis, do they make that pan for an 8.2" deck engine? Ballpark price?

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Dennis, do they make that pan for an 8.2" deck engine? Ballpark price?
Sure Nate. About $300, but can be found cheaper on the net which is how I got mine. Pickup is maybe $30.

https://www.cantonracingproducts.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=15-610

There are a couple of other "premium" pans offered:

https://www.cantonracingproducts.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=1502

You can use the factory timing dipstick tube/stick if you don't want to spring for the pan location stuff. The blockoff plug included.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all for the replies.I guess I'll be going with an aftermarket pan....doesn't make sense to to try and save a couple of bucks there.

Dennis-Does the crank scrapper and slosh baffle in that pan make a windage tray redundent (not neccesary)?

I see Kevko has some nice looking american made pans at a decent price also.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
At your chosen 6500rpm max, a windage tray isn't going to do much of anything. The slosh baffles and scrapper will be more beneficial for oil control.

If you really want a tray, the better ones are the screen type.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I had a custom alum pan done by Stefs for $600. I used to run a moroso deal and it worked good. The canton pans have thin rails, the only thing I don't like.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I'm gathering information for a possible 408 build and was curious what type pan you guys who drag race with the early front sump oil pans were using?
Also are you using a std or HV pump,and did you use a stock pump driveshaft or aftermarket?
This will be a stock block,hydraulic roller, 6500 max rpm deal. I honestly would like to use a stock type 5 qt pan but I am not sure if that will be adequate.
Would like to hear your opinions and experiences....

I'm using a big mildon on my 408 I had to
Modify the crossmember slightly no big deal
That's in my 66 fairlane. My engine builder
Builds race engines all the time they recommended
The stock
Oil pump claiming less resistance on oil
Pump drive. Been running it for quite a few
Years with no issues.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am in the process of making an 8qt pan out of a 97 truck pan, never crossed my mind that it might not clear the crank. Anybody else ran a pa like this on a striker? Any clearance issues?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts