Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everybody,
I bought a 95 ford f150 for $500 mainly for the 351w under the hood. I was going to probably rebuild it, but in a bigger cam, put on alluminum heads and a carbed intake. how well is this going to fit in my 68'? i have the stock shock towers and would like to keep them stock. are the blocks about the same as the older style ones? will motor mounts from a 351 mustang from the same era work? I also bought a t5 5-speed for it. what kind of bellhousing am i going to need for this to bolt up to the 351?
Thank you for any help.

·
Registered
483 Posts
hello everybody,
I bought a 95 ford f150 for $500 mainly for the 351w under the hood. I was going to probably rebuild it, but in a bigger cam, put on alluminum heads and a carbed intake. how well is this going to fit in my 68'? i have the stock shock towers and would like to keep them stock. are the blocks about the same as the older style ones? will motor mounts from a 351 mustang from the same era work? I also bought a t5 5-speed for it. what kind of bellhousing am i going to need for this to bolt up to the 351?
Thank you for any help.
You need a 157 tooth flywheel ( 289-302 stock) for the T5 belhousing. The 5.0 could be used BUT a machine shop would HAVE TO remove counterweight from it to match the 28oz imbalance of the 351W. That is why I suggested the 289-302 flywheel. You will have to figure out how to hook up a cable for the clutch if you use the stock T5 bell housing. IIRC , kits are available to do this. Motor mounts are identical, same driveshaft, mild rework to the shifter opening. Use '69-70 351W headers and go to a bigger radiator ('69 351W Mustang at minimum) Pretty simple and WELL worth the work. Watch hood clearance with an air gap or single plane intake manifold.
Randy

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
You can get 157 tooth 28 oz-in flywheels for the T5. They are made for swapping in early 302's and 351W's. Just make sure you get a flywheel specifically for the T5, which uses the diaphragm pressure plate. They also make 157 tooth flywheels for the old original Long style clutches.

Hooker makes a nice fitting header. They are part # 6208.

Motor mounts and bell housing bolt pattern are the same as the 302.

Mustangsteve also has a lot of helpful parts. If you want to go with a cable clutch (mostly T5 swaps), this is where you want to shop.

https://www.mustangsteve.com/

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Air gap intake puts top of carby level with the top of hood with q inch spacer air cleaner will be out the bonnet.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
Air gap intake puts top of carby level with the top of hood with q inch spacer air cleaner will be out the bonnet.
Yes, 351W Air Gap is as tall as the Victor Jr. If hood clearance is a concern, the Performer RPM might be a better choice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts