Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK Guys need some imput I have a 1969 351w Has not ran in years installed new fuel pump dist wires installed rubber hose from carb to gas can. pumps gas to carb has spark, vacuum, it will start if primed but quits after prime is burned if re primed same thing carb is pumping into manifold but will not run HELP!! please

·
Registered
63 convertable
975 Posts
what do you mean by "primed"? are you filling the bowl throught the vents , or just squirting fuel into the venturis

·
Registered
63 convertable
975 Posts
so likely no fuel getting into carb. remove the airhorn or front float bowl to see if needle valve is stuck. what carb is it?

·
Registered
651 Posts
What is pumping the fuel to the carb? It would suck it from the can. Pull the fuel tank, clean the lines, replace the fuel pump and try again. Probably the rubber hose by the tank needs replacing to.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What is pumping the fuel to the carb? It would suck it from the can. Pull the fuel tank, clean the lines, replace the fuel pump and try again. Probably the rubber hose by the tank needs replacing to.
I have the tank out a rubber hose connected to fuel pump it is pumping fuel to carb and if I work the linkage on the carb I can see it spray fuel into manifold

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what is" carb is pumping into manifold"?
Holley 600 street dominator & new fuel pump it has fuel in the carb if I work the linkage I see it spray the manifold it's like it don't send to cylinders unless I pour gas direct in to carb

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I pulled the tank replaced fuel pump new Holley 600 carb running rubber hose direct from a gas can to pick up at fuel pump fuel pump is getting gas if I work the linkage on carb I can see it spray from carb to manifold almost like it dont send from Manifold to cylinders

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I pulled the tank replaced fuel pump new Holley 600 carb running rubber hose direct from a gas can to pick up at fuel pump fuel pump is getting gas if I work the linkage on carb I can see it spray from carb to manifold almost like it dont send from Manifold to cylinders
could it be fuel pump timing of some sort???

·
Registered
651 Posts
Maybe your exhaust system has some squirrels home, plugging it up.
You know this would have been a lot easier if you'd told us what you actually have done, your setup, and are doing to get it to run.
Reminds me of when I've worked in parts stores and someone comes in a says, "I need a water pump for my car". "What kind of car are we working on"? A GREEN ONE!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Maybe your exhaust system is some squirrels home, plugging it up.
You know this would have been a lot easier if you'd told us what you actually have done, your setup, and are doing to get it to run.
Reminds me of when I've worked in parts stores and someone comes in a says, "I need a water pump for my car". "What kind of car are we working on"? A GREEN ONE!
LOL Sorry!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I don't understand the difference between pouring gas down the carb throat or squirting it in with the accelerator pump.

It goes to the same place. The only difference might be quantity or quality. If the exhaust was plugged, it would run for a while until the back pressure built up. But this should happen whether you pump the accelerator or pour gas into the carb directly.

Will it rev when it first starts?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't understand the difference between pouring gas down the carb throat or squirting it in with the accelerator pump.

It goes to the same place. The only difference might be quantity or quality. If the exhaust was plugged, it would run for a while until the back pressure built up. But this should happen whether you pump the accelerator or pour gas into the carb directly.

Will it rev when it first starts?
no when it fires I pump the gas still quits

·
Registered
63 convertable
975 Posts
maybe looking in the wrong direction. jumper from battery to coil pos. see if it keeps running. dont leave this connection for very long as it could overheat the coil

1 - 20 of 32 Posts