Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Agree with @extech you need fuel, compression and spark. Looks like you have fuel and compression. You might only have spark during cranking. in addition to extech suggestion, you could also hook up a timing light to see if spark continues when you let off the key.

·
Registered
550 Posts
it is a new Holley putting gas into Manifold when linkage worked by hand but car will not run car runs only on gas dumped into carb
New doesn't mean it isn't full of garbage, seem that a few times. Fuel level can also be so low that a little gas gets in the float bowl and fills the acc pump up, (which sets in the bottom) and that's it. That's the gas you see pumping in when you work the linkage. If the level is so low, neither the idle circuit or the jets will get any fuel to work. Pull the float bowl off and flip it upside down and see where the float sets, take 2 aspirins and call me in the morning.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Ok really dumb question here. Sorry.

Is the liquid pumping out of the accelerator pump the same liquid as you dump in manually?

Dumb question I know but my ex filled the lawnmower up with kerosene one time. You need to be sure the lines are totally purged of anything that isn't clean fresh gas.

There is no way that the carb should be able to squirt clean fresh gas into the intake and the engine not respond exactly the same way as pouring in clean fresh gas.

Reactions: extech

·
Registered
550 Posts
YES Not a dumb question, just finding someone who grew up and has worked on carbs is hard to find anymore. Holleys are nice, Rochester Thermoquads and Quadrajets, along with AFBs are another subject. Edelbrock carbs are the old AFBs with a chrome finish.
The gas is pumped into the carb's float bowl via the float/needle valve. If the acc pump is getting fuel, I'd say it is pumping in the float bowl. BUT if the float level is to low, it only gets to pump in enough to fill the acc pump's cavity, and some in the bottom of the float bowl, which supplies gas via a hole in the bottom of the float bowl area. Then the float valve shuts the flow to the bowl off.
With a low fuel level the jets, idle circuit and Power valve are all left high and dry. That is why the float level if to low starves the system and to high floods the engine out the booster venturi in the carb's throat.
You can actually mix kerosene and gas and it'll run, just not great. I knew a Utah HP (back in 72-74) driving a 71 Galaxie 429PI (aka 429CJ) that every fill up he put a gal of diesel fuel with the gas. Didn't smoke and always ran great.

·
Registered
141 Posts
YES Not a dumb question, just finding someone who grew up and has worked on carbs is hard to find anymore. Holleys are nice, Rochester Thermoquads and Quadrajets, along with AFBs are another subject. Edelbrock carbs are the old AFBs with a chrome finish.
The gas is pumped into the carb's float bowl via the float/needle valve. If the acc pump is getting fuel, I'd say it is pumping in the float bowl. BUT if the float level is to low, it only gets to pump in enough to fill the acc pump's cavity, and some in the bottom of the float bowl, which supplies gas via a hole in the bottom of the float bowl area. Then the float valve shuts the flow to the bowl off.
With a low fuel level the jets, idle circuit and Power valve are all left high and dry. That is why the float level if to low starves the system and to high floods the engine out the booster venturi in the carb's throat.
You can actually mix kerosene and gas and it'll run, just not great. I knew a Utah HP (back in 72-74) driving a 71 Galaxie 429PI (aka 429CJ) that every fill up he put a gal of diesel fuel with the gas. Didn't smoke and always ran great.
So maybe the accelerator is pumping gas but not much. That could be.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yup. You could pump the floatbowl dry very quickly.

·
Registered
1962 Ford Galaxy 500XL Victoria
1 Posts
OK Guys need some imput I have a 1969 351w Has not ran in years installed new fuel pump dist wires installed rubber hose from carb to gas can. pumps gas to carb has spark, vacuum, it will start if primed but quits after prime is burned if re primed same thing carb is pumping into manifold but will not run HELP!! please
Sure sounds like it's not getting fuel from carb. I know you said it's pumping in however why does it run out? Is the float possibly sticking closed in the carb? Try running on either just squirting in periodically to keep it running. If it does that then I would say float is sticking closed. Let me know.

·
Registered
37 Posts
You should be able to pull the view plug from the bowl and see what the level is. You can change the level up or down with the float screws. If you remove the coil wire (not just one end but remove it so it won’t spark) you can crank the engine over a few times to see where the level is and keep making adjustments. Lay some rags to capture any spill. Used to do this all the time when racing, didn’t have time to pull the carb apart.

·
Registered
63 convertable
942 Posts
don't do this if you have electronic ign. take the coil wire out of the cap and ground it to prevent sparks. with hei just unplug the dist.

·
Registered
1 Posts
OK Guys need some imput I have a 1969 351w Has not ran in years installed new fuel pump dist wires installed rubber hose from carb to gas can. pumps gas to carb has spark, vacuum, it will start if primed but quits after prime is burned if re primed same thing carb is pumping into manifold but will not run HELP!! please
Ok I had similar problem on a 5.0 ,, it would fire then nothing... pour enough fuel or starting fluid and it would run a bit... was getting fuel... Pulled the plenum, was full of Mice nests, and had gotten in the lower Plenum/intake... pulled it ... was full of insulation mice nests around the valves and it was saturated with fuel... cleaned and picked it all out and put back together and ran like it was supposed to... now yes this was Fuel inj. but if they got in the intake .. same problem would happen..

21 - 32 of 32 Posts