Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1/2" ARP main studs ( fine thread) and Ford Racing connecting rods which have 3/8" 190 000 PSI ARP capscrew bolts ?

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
90 ft/lbs w/ARP moly lube/130 ft/lbs w/30wt oil on the 190,000psi 1/2" studs and 42 ft/lbs w/moly or 60 ft/lbs w/30wt oil on the 3/8" 190,000psi rod cap screws.

BTW, I'm thinking of building a real 1/8 mile dragstrip in Latvia on some land we own there and are looking for contacts and places to get stuff from like VHT, drums of race fuel, electronic timing equiptment, etc. That would mean I would be living there and supervising the preperation and build of the track surface then I would be living there and running it. Full time brackets and time trials every weekend on Saturdays during day and Saturday "Midnights" street racing(heads up run what you brung no time slips, open gates around midnight through 5AM Sat night/Sun morning), and some Sunday programs like American car day or car club activities. Of course I'll be bringing at least 3 of my wagons over to race and we'll play mostly American oldies music(hot rod songs and other music from the era) during the races, even the bracket programs. There are no permanent tracks in Latvia or in the surrounding areas and it would be a good spot to stop at for others to stop in to while traveling all over Europe going from track to track like many seem to do. What do you think Ville?

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello, nice to hear from you again ! Thanks for the torque specs.I am putting together a 393 w stroker for a friend and lost the specs.
A close friend of mine has rebuilt our old 72 Pinto Wagon, which had a 11 second street 357 W. The current engine is a Procharged ,intercooled and fuel injected 408 stroker Windsor which made 780 horses at wheels before it lost traction..unfortunately it is not possible to have the car legally on the street anymore.
The idea about the dragstrip in Latvia sounds wild and great !
Here in Finland we have 2 official 1/4 mile dragstrips, the better one is well located at Alastaro.You will find info at www.fhra.fi ( also in english). The hobby is very well alive here and even bigger in our neigbor country Sweden.
The annual Power Meet beginning of july gathers 10-20 000 built american cars and 100 000-150 0000 spectators to the small town of Västerås. To me that weekend is almost bigger than life..Yeah, going again this year with 3-5 hi performance Fords from Finland.
I really dont know about the state of the hobby in Latvia.I have a feeling that there arent too many older/built american cars.
In Estonia there is some dragracing , believe it is held on an airport. It´s quite a big event with perhaps 1000 cars, rock´n roll and stuff..
Let me know if you need any further info, you´ll reach me best by email ( ville.sievers at voith.com) or by phone +358407378981.

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
WOW! That's a serious Pinto! Very nice 1 piece front end especially since I have not seen one without having the 77-78 fiberglass front end on them here in the States so that is a refreshing sight to see a 74-76 front end. Does it run 8s or 7s?

If there is a good place to get good parts/fuel/VHT in Finland, then I assume I can freely transport that stuff back to Latvia without border taxes or anything. At least that is whatI understand....??

I have done research over the last couple weeks and found racing is very much alive and popular but only at temporary tracks like air strips in Riga (2 of them) and a sports complex (Bikernieki) also in Riga but they have temporary timing systems and are not prepped with VHT or anything plus mainly ricers go(slow FWD 4 poppers) but they are where most of the money comes from I guess. There is no weekly dragracing either. Just one event here and there at various places during the summer. A regular weekly race at the same track with permanent timing system is desperately needed there.

I found that in Valga, a border town half in Estonia and half in Latvia, and they have cruises every summer which is located 20 kilometers away from where my property is. It is only 10 hektars but plenty large enough for the 1/8th mile track and 1/8th mile shutdown with plenty of parking and pit space. Maybe even have a dirt oval next to it as that seems VERY popular right now in Latvia. Getting all the permits and the land rezoned from agricultural property to commercial property. Finding reliable and honest help out there in the country as employees will be very difficult since there are mostly drunks out in the country and many Russians. The country people that I have seen seem to be very lazy except for a few. It will be a challenge to say the least but I think it will be a big hit and I would like to join the BHRA (Baltic Hot Rod Association) which was started in Estonia and they are looking to expand into Latvia and beyond. That would be a good route for me to take and try like hell to avoid the NHRA and IHRA which will destroy drag racing in Europe and make it cost prohibitive with stupid unnecessary SFI requirements especially for sportman classes and brackets which is where all the little guys are.

Thanks for the info Ville, I'll talk to you later or e-mail you sometime within the next couple weeks. Nice to see you got another old Ford worthy of resurrection(70 Torino SCJ). You'll have fun with that one when it's running. A nice 557 will look like a stock 429SCJ and sound mild yet smack down 600+ HP to the ground with stock ported and extrude honed SCJ iron intake and make people scratch their heads.

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello. Your plan sounds very interesting.Dont know how many speed shops there are in baltic countries, if any, but at least you can get most/all the stuff from Helsinki which is only a 4 hour ship tour from Tallinn.
The yellow Pinto hasnt made a single pass yet at the strip´ with the blown stock block 408 and we will build a new engine with aftermarket block this winter.Before it is too late..The engine made an easy 786 hp at wheels in shakedown run.I quess there is already near 1000 hp at the flywheel already now.
My friend had this same engine in little tamer form in his black 83 street licenced Tbird..Bunch of problems mostly due to slipping blower belt, but when that worked my Futura was no match for it on the motorway..
Surprise...my thoughts about the Torino are same as yours...keep it looking stock but with 532+ cubic inches and 650+ horses. Unfortunately the original SCJ engine is long gone.A tired passenger car 429/460 currently rests in the engine bay.
Geez...your Pinto... which engine do you have in it ? HD rods/KB pistons...? Best et./trap speed ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts