Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the 69 or 70 351 W heads ported and bigger valves installed flow as good as the windsor jr. heads from world products?

·
Registered
314 Posts
They are very close. A stock Jr head will slightly outflow a stock 69 351W head. But a ported head of either will outflow the stock other one. In the end the Jr would be more effective oth time wise on your porting and also $$ wise.

Take a look at this head flow chart. Thanks to whomever compiled it. It's one of the more complete I have seen.
http://home.isoa.net/~mharrisj/fordhead.html

Later,

David Cole

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Dave, that site is loaded!!!!! Sooo much stuff!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would I be better off and cheaper to just get a set of windsor JR. heads then to port the 69 or 70 heads and get bigger valves installed which would be best.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Depends on if you do the porting yourself. I ported 2 sets of 351 heads, got 1.94 + 1.60 valves put in and shaved the heads for a total of $385 a set including the cost of the heads. But I got the heads and valves cheap from a friend. If you do the work yourself you can come out way ahead of the windsor jrs. cost wise.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Go to the machine shop, and price how much it would cost to have them shaved, have screw in studs installed, hardend seats put in, and larger valves put in w/ a good valve job. Add that up with your inital cost of the heads.
I was going to go that way, but for just a little bit more $$$ I got some Trick Flows.

Or you could keep an eye out for a used set of Jrs, or ported 351w's. They are out there every now and then.

I would just go whichever way you can save some $$$.

1964 Comet 289 C4 daily driver
TFS TW, Weiand Stealth, Comp XE268, Rhodes lifters, TFS roller rockers, Carter 625 AFB, Hooker SuperComps
"These go to 11." -This is Spinal Tap

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dragman64 on 3/7/02 2:02am ]</font>

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
I would get the Jr's...

If you go 'balls out' on a set of factory Ford castings, you will have a cylinder head almost the equal of a Jr. head that has had a cartridge roll clean-up.

The Jr. heads come from the factory with horrible casting flash, so the ports are in desperate NEED of a little attention... But it is EASY.
After this little bit of work, they flow great... better than a Ford casting that has had quite a bit of work done on it.

As a bonus, they are already set up for larger valves, screw in studs, guide plates, etc. It's all chevy hardware too, so it's very inexpensive. They are also NEW. When working with 30 year old Ford castings, every part of the head needs replaced and reconditioned... as well as the machine work to be set up for all studs, etc. Once all the parts and machine work are all payed for, you'll have just as much money in a 'stock' set of heads... We won't even mention resale value.

You're many dollars, hours, and horses ahead to start with a set of Jr's. Take it from someone who has done up his share of stockers.

Just be careful. Not all headers work with World Product's spark plug location. (unless they've changed it) For early mustangs, the regular 'competition' header will NOT work with WP heads, but their 'super comp' header will. With the wrong header, the plug wire will lay right on the header tube.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Go to the machine shop, hardend seats put in,
Valve recession is only a problem with unleaded fuels when the engine is under constant high load conditions for extended periods of time. Some tow vehicles might fall into this category, but not hotrods.

You don't want hardened seats unless they are REALLY required. Here's a bit of info from a quality machinist and his views on the subject...

http://www.angelfire.com/ar/dw42/seat.htm

This is the link to the rest of his VERY informative site. The guy's name is Dave Williams, and those that know of him, know he is a WORTH of information.

http://www.angelfire.com/ar/dw42/

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Just thinking: Do the aftermarket heads like the Jrs have hardened seats?

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
They have induction hardened exhaust seats and not inserts. Induction hardened seats are stock seats with heat applied. The heat transfer rate of a hardened insert to the cooling system is much less than an integrated hardened seat that is actually part of the head. I have never had hardened seats put in my heads before and I don't have valve seat recession. 100,000+ miles and worn out guides are the contributing factors to seat wear and if the guides are maintained every 50,000 miles or so, the seats will be fine. Hardened seat inserts are an unnecessary added cost in my opinion.

·
Registered
91 Posts
What do you guys think about the Roush 200 or the Roush 180 heads from World Castings? Are they any good? Anyone used them yet? I Dont even see the Winsor jr or sr's on there website...Almost like the Roush heads replaced them? Anyone know otherwise? my local machinist says there badass heads...But what do you guys think? Im either using them to make him happy....or the AFR 185cc for the aluminum. Thanks in Advance, Ryan

·
Registered
318 Posts
I recently came across a company called Desert Performance. They have 289/302/351 heads on their websight, unported for $588 per set and street/strip port and polish for $888 per set. The heads come assembled with 1.90/1.60 valves installed with hardened valve seats. I had been planning to redo my 289 heads but I think I'm going to look into these guys first. I e-mailed them last week for more specific info, like what castings and chamber sizes they are using, but they havent gotten back to me yet. It may be worth paying them a look. The sight is http://www.desertperformance.com/index.htm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts