Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hallo,
I have some questions.
I bought a 351 shortblock with casting# D9 AE 6015 ED8 .
All I know about is , its from 1979 and was installed in an LTD.
It has also a 268 or 278 crane- cam, double timing chain and crane- lifters.

My plan is to put on my 289 Heads(ported)54cc chamber and the RPM intake.
The carb will be a 750 holley double-pumper.

Now I dont know about the comp-ratio I will get and what Hp I will get.
It will be installed in a 67 Mustang with C4 and 3.00 rearend.

Thanks for help
Robbi

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Robbi on 12/22/01 10:11pm ]</font>

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot,
I know for that too.
Also I have to drill some holes into the block or head to connect the water-passages .

In the head-gasket they are all but head-to block are on different sites.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did someone know for the comp ratio for this 351 block ?
I want to calculate the ratio with my heads.
In my book this casting# is not to find.
The pistons are dished to reduce the comp-ratio.
:-?

Please give me some input

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
On 2001-12-22 11:12, Robbi wrote:
I forgot,
I know for that too.
Also I have to drill some holes into the block or head to connect the water-passages .

In the head-gasket they are all but head-to block are on different sites.
That only applies I think if you're putting Windsor heads on a Cleveland block or vise-versa. Your 289 heads will go on to a 351W no problem when you drill out the head bolts like N20 mike said about the larger size head bolts used on a 351W block. Good luck.

·
Registered
7,472 Posts
Be sure to use a large drill press that will allow you to keep the heads straight and level during the drilling process.

When converting my block to 1/2" head bolts, my heads needed drilling as well. The 1/2" bit wasn't quite enough for the ARP bolts. They were quite tight. I purchased a 33/64 bit from Travers Tools. I guess a more common 17/32" bit would have worked as well.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that input.
I know for that all .

I am interested if someone know for that block casting # and what compression-ratio I will get with my 54 cc heads (1.94/1.60 valves)!

and want to ask if I will get this way 350 hp?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Robbi, if you have the shortblock handy you calculate the compression ratio. Put a piston at exatly TDC, and with a straightedge(I use the side of a metal ruler) and feeler guages, measure how far the pistons are in the hole.
you also will need to figure out the CC's of the dished piston. I have heard of a way to do this: lower the piston in the hole a known amount, then fill with water from a graduated cylinder. Subtract the known volume of the cylinder (how far you put the piston down) from this. You might have to somehow seal the rings to the cylinder walls, so it wont leak water. Maybe vasiline?

Then plug all of your info at the calculator here http://www.prestage.com/carmath/ .

Is that clear as mud?

1964 Comet 289 C4 daily driver
"These go to 11." -This is Spinal Tap

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dragman64 on 12/24/01 5:08am ]</font>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts