Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 96 Thunderbird with a 4.6 . I want a 351 w in it . But that year has OBD 2 . I was gonna get desperate and mount the sensors to the 351 w and deleate what I can't use for the check engine light . But since I am not the only one that wants this , I"ll stop here an see if any one knows a way pass OBD 2 . And no , there is no tuners or guys in Las Vegas who could help at all , and I need some one to help me get going . I want to pass smog an don't care how , carburator or F.I , I do not care . You can PM me if need be . Saleen does not answer there phone . And I cant find any aftermarket obd 2 computers either .

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I know most Ford vehicles (wouldn't be surprised if all did) used OBD-II after 96. So, you have a few options:

-Find a wrecked vehicle w/ a 351 in it model year 96 or newer and steal the engine harness and computer. Hopefully it'll work in the T-Bird, with maybe some minor adjustments. However, that will most likely mean using a truck or van harness, which may not work well in a T-Bird without major modifications.
-Find a Saleen Mustang from 96+. These had a 351 in it and the harness used may work better in your T-Bird. Note that they won't answer their phones since they are long gone so hopefully you can find a wrecked Mustang from the right years.
-Use the existing harness, but modify the connectors/wire lengths where need be. Afterwards, the existing computer will need many parameters changed (engine size, maybe pulse-widths for various sensors, etc.).
-If more displacement is needed, just stick a 5.4 in there, if room permits. The only OBD-II mods needed then are to tell the computer the engine is bigger.

It can be done but using the 351 will require significant work to get OBD-II to work in your application whereas a 5.4 will require just an engine swap and trip to your local dyno tuner.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts