Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I put a 351W in my torino and was told it was rebuilt but now it is in it is knocking.. someone told me that it could just be out of time that bad?? any input on this

·
Registered
106 Posts
How old of an engine? Bottom end knock er top end tick? If its bottom end I would drop the pan and at least make sure all the rods and mains are tight to spec. If they plastiguaged the bearings they could have forgot to tighten one er more of em. Unless its pinging from detonation and thats what ur hearing it is probably something else. If its top end check valve tollerances.

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
Noises are hard to diagnose by remote control. Does it make the sound all the time and all speeds? Is the sound soft or sharp? Deep heavy metal clunk, light tap, or somewhere in-between?

To help with info, get a stethoscope, or chunk of garden hose, or long screwdriver or broomstick and put it to your ear, moving the other end around on the engine to pinpoint the source as close as possible. Let us know what you find. Diagnosis before disassembly. A bit more known history of the engine may also be helpful.

David

PS: If it makes you feel better, the last knocking engine I had was a loose harmonic balancer. One bolt re-tightened and the knock was gone. Hopefully yours is similarly simple.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts