Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am running duraspark ignition,holley 600,mild cam.n.on adjustable rockers,hooker headers.while warming motor up she barks out of rt side exaust.once it warms up it seems to go away?.the motor is in my 63 mercury meteor hardtop.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
If this only happens during warm-up (fairly cold outside ambient temp), and goes away with warm-up and choke fully opening, it is normal.

Being a HOLLEY, I doubt if you have the same OEM choke specs/setup, correct?

It is simply a mis-fire due to the fuel falling out of suspension in a cold engine. Maybe enrichen the choke?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If this only happens during warm-up (fairly cold outside ambient temp), and goes away with warm-up and choke fully opening, it is normal.

Being a HOLLEY, I doubt if you have the same OEM choke specs/setup, correct?

It is simply a mis-fire due to the fuel falling out of suspension in a cold engine. Maybe enrichen the choke?
thanks for the help.it now pops out carb and still rt exaust but my friend held the choke 80percent closed and it did not backfire at all.we are thinking mabe backfire valve or mabe running lean.i never set up this holley.it also possable i got a little dirt in carb from old fuel line, i replaced with a 3/8ths line now. my 351 had orig timing pointer on pass side.i can not see this mark as the lower hose hides it.what i did is i put a summit harmonic ballancer with 3 sets of timing marks,then i got a 65 mustang timing pointer for the driverside.i set the timing by this pointer.i need to double check both timing marks at the same time but this will involve taking off the pass side lower hose.im pretty sure im right that the new timing pointer will work.i believe a 69 windsor was on the driverside.my motor is a 76 granada.let me know whatcha think thanks hipo

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
... im pretty sure im right that the new timing pointer will work.i believe a 69 windsor was on the driverside.my motor is a 76 granada.let me know whatcha think thanks hipo
Correct, pre-'70 SBF have right (passenger) water outlets and left (driver's) pointers. You don't need to view the old marks, and it will actually be more accurate if you use a piston stop (about $7 at the auto parts store or on-line). Do a search for "piston stop TDC" for how to quickly use it to find perfect TDC, even if your original wasn't right-on from the factory.

David

·
Registered
204 Posts
some times you can have a exhaust leck you cant hear & and your drawing air into the exhaust and it will backfire

1 - 7 of 7 Posts