Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So to start off Im new to building engines, and this is the first engine I have even attempted to rebuild. I have no mechanical background, no schooling, just what my grandpa and the internet has taught me. I took the engine all apart cleaned the block got an edelbrock top end kit, rotating assembly, the works. I am to the point now where the pistons, crank, cam, and oil pump are on the block, and before i put the timing chain and cover on, I was wondering if I had to set the cam in a certain position to match up with something else or what? Do i just stick the cam in there and itll match? Please help.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Not knowing specs on anything I would just run it dot to dot. (straight up) No degreeing if its a mild cam. Degreeing is nec if you are doing high lifts and large durations...

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Did you assemble the short block yourself?..I don't mean to sound negative but it sounds like you are lacking experience and there are many things you could do wrong assembling the rotating assembly if you don't know what you are doing...I strongly suggest you buy Tom Monroe's book called How to rebuild your smallblock ford...Read through it carefully as it is a great guide on how to assemble an engine...It is not geared towards high performance however so there will be a few differences with your edelbrock top end as opposed to a stock ford top end...What type of pistons are you running?..You will need to check piston to valve clearance once you do get the cam installed and a cylinder head in place..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a book to follow, and my grandpa has been a Ford mechanic for over 45 years so I feel like I have more than enough reference (and he is on vacation hence why I'm posting here). But I was just wondering and my question has been answered, thank you. It is a mild cam, nothing special.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts